Is this even possible? (re:front wheel) - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
General Lawnmower Repair Have a question not brand-specific? Ask it here. Changing oil, sharpening a blade, changing a spark plug? Ask your questions here!

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mark / Ohio
  • 2 Post By mschumpert

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Is this even possible? (re:front wheel)

I noticed my front wheel was a bit wobbly today. i hadn't noticed it before, and I've been mowing every week for a couple months now.

I started looking into it, and could immediately tell something was missing. Further examination revealed the bushings were completely gone. My first thought was, did someone sneak into our barn and steal them? lt didn't look like it, but an even closer look showed some signs of wear that maybe there had been a problem prior and I didn't notice it.

I had replaced the tire 3-4 years ago and the tread is still pretty decent. I'm not a lawnmower guy, and I can't remember the bushings coming with the tire, but can't see myself putting a tire on totally wobbly without them.

But here's the thing, there is NO evidence of any bushing whatsoever. I saw some videos of bushings pretty worn out, but is it possible for a bushing to completely disintegrate leaving nothing behind? I just don't know how I could have been riding on a wobbly wheel with no bushings all these years.

Moving on, is this the part I need to get?
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ring-532009040
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Also, if I wanted to replace the wheel completely, is this a good option?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Arnold-15-i...-Mower/1268975

Where the axle goes is considerably different than what I have now, but I can't find anything else that looks the same...

thanks!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschumpert View Post
I noticed my front wheel was a bit wobbly today. i hadn't noticed it before, and I've been mowing every week for a couple months now.

I started looking into it, and could immediately tell something was missing. Further examination revealed the bushings were completely gone. My first thought was, did someone sneak into our barn and steal them? lt didn't look like it, but an even closer look showed some signs of wear that maybe there had been a problem prior and I didn't notice it.

I had replaced the tire 3-4 years ago and the tread is still pretty decent. I'm not a lawnmower guy, and I can't remember the bushings coming with the tire, but can't see myself putting a tire on totally wobbly without them.

But here's the thing, there is NO evidence of any bushing whatsoever. I saw some videos of bushings pretty worn out, but is it possible for a bushing to completely disintegrate leaving nothing behind? I just don't know how I could have been riding on a wobbly wheel with no bushings all these years.

Moving on, is this the part I need to get?
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ring-532009040
you didnt give us the brand and model number but based on the part you linked it must be one of the craftsman/poulan/ariens/husqvarna type mower with the brass bushings. (the other mtd brands all use plastic sleeve bearings)

first off, if you just noticed it then odds are pretty good you have serious wear from it being bad for a long time. my BIL replaced his tires on a husqvarna and 6 months later the deck fell apart so he sold the engine and then gave me the tires from it. in that short time the inside hub or the front rim on one side had ground off about 1/2" of the hub to the point you couldnt get the bearing to stay in it any more.

you need to do some serious eyeballing of everything there especially on the underside where all the wear will be on the axle shaft and see how much wear you have.

i posted this in another thread but it may be the solution you need as well as long as your rims arent damaged, make sure you look at them closely

You can only learn if you ask the question, so there are no dumb questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply!

@keakar

I should have known to give all that...I have a Craftsman LT1000 917.272672

It's dark now, but earlier, I'm pretty sure I saw damage on the rim. Does that mean I'll need a new tire altogether? I already bought the bushings I posted earlier, hopefully they're correct, but maybe they won't work because of the damage? If not, I may try your strategy, but the damage may prevent that from working too...

I'm still perplexed about why there isn't a bushing there now. With all the work I've done on that mower over the years, it's hard to believe I overlooked it.

Anyway, if I need a new tire is that one I posted ok? It's pretty different than the current one...

Thanks all!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
@keakar

I should have known to give all that...I have a Craftsman LT1000 917.272672

It's dark now, but earlier, I'm pretty sure I saw damage on the rim. Does that mean I'll need a new tire altogether? I already bought the bushings I posted earlier, hopefully they're correct, but maybe they won't work because of the damage? If not, I may try your strategy, but the damage may prevent that from working too...
it means you need a replacement rim for it. if your tire is good then put it on the replacement rim.

ask around for a local lawn mower guy and ask for a craftsman front rim, the rims are identical on ariens/craftsman/poulan/husqvarna mowers so somebody will be throwing out a perfectly good rim from one of those if they buy parts mowers, or worst case ebay.

================================================== ====

Quote:
@keakar Anyway, if I need a new tire is that one I posted ok? It's pretty different than the current one...

Thanks all!
as long as its the same size or close to it its fine, the pattern doesnt matter but you should try to make sure its at least a 4 ply tire

that looks like it has bearings to convert it to any brand mower so thats nice

thing is, at what price?

before buying anything try your local tractor supply just to see if they have it

================================================== ====

Quote:
@keakar
I'm still perplexed about why there isn't a bushing there now. With all the work I've done on that mower over the years, it's hard to believe I overlooked it.
i have bought mowers like that sometimes but its very unusual. the usual way that happens is someone takes the rim off and the bushing on the back side you cant see falls out and rolls out of sight under the mower.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 01:38 AM
Administrator

Garage
Few years back I replaced the front caster wheel on the zero turn where I work. The owners neither mechanical type people kept running it until it darn near cut through the bolt holding it before they decided something was wrong. There was no sign of the bearing left at all. It was a ball bearing rather than sleeve. I thinks once the balls seized and fell out of the track the rest of it disintegrated and fell out pretty fast covering several acres a week. Hard to tell how many years it had been since it last saw a grease gun connected to it also.
keakar likes this.

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Update

So as it turns out, I have realized that
1. Thankfully, I am not as mechanically inept as it previously looked, but...
2. I am not as observant as I like to think...

I received my new bushings, and went to insert them, but the hole was too small and there was no way it was going in...But now with one in hand, I was able to look at things differently and in looking again, discovered the old bushings were still there, but they were so worn down, I thought they were a part of the rim! Check out how bad they look...

[IMG][/IMG]

I think part of the problem was when I put the tire on, I didn't know I needed to fill the thing with grease. So next question, for someone who may only use it a few times, where can I find the cheapest grease gun possible? Thanks!
Mark / Ohio and keakar like this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
I think part of the problem was when I put the tire on, I didn't know I needed to fill the thing with grease. So next question, for someone who may only use it a few times, where can I find the cheapest grease gun possible? Thanks!
any auto store or walmart will have grease guns but many are cheap trash so pay a little more and only buy something that looks well made, it should be the last one you need to buy if you get a good one

as for the bushings, those may have worn grooves into the axle spindle on the bottom so make sure you examine that good

its great to have easy solutions to something that seemed might be expensive

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 01:17 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
...I think part of the problem was when I put the tire on, I didn't know I needed to fill the thing with grease. So next question, for someone who may only use it a few times, where can I find the cheapest grease gun possible? Thanks!

Do you have grease fittings on that? If not you can get just a small can of wheel bearing grease and coat it with your finger. My Deere has no fittings on the actual wheels like my old Jacobsen, only the steering spindles have fittings. So I just pull the wheel and reload it every few years with my finger if I find it needs some more.

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page