Lawn Mower care over winter - msg to neighborhood forum - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
General Lawnmower Repair Have a question not brand-specific? Ask it here. Changing oil, sharpening a blade, changing a spark plug? Ask your questions here!

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Joe Kuhn
  • 2 Post By Joe Kuhn

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Lawn Mower care over winter - msg to neighborhood forum

Neighbors, be sure you add Stabil to your mower gas can per directions on the Stabil bottle now that we are getting cooler weather. This will insure your gasoline doesn't go bad over the winter and gunk up your carburetor.

Another option is to simply run your mower out of gas when you're done using it. Knowing when that will be is not always easy, so don't fill it much from now on. If you have to add a little gas to get that last mowing done, so be it. Then run it out before you park it for the winter. And remember to pour the rest of your can into your car.

One of the most frequent problems I see in my hobby repair work, is dirty carburetors. With ethanol in today's gas, the carburetor has become the most fragile part of your machine. Ethanol goes bad in a month or two and leaves a dirty residue throughout.

Yet another option is to use ethanol free gas if you can find it outside of the Chicago Metropolitan area. The hardware store also carries it, but it's darn expensive at $6 to $7 a quart. I'll sometimes run my mower out of gas and then put half a quart of ethanol free in it for that last mowing or two and then I'm good until spring.

Lots of options. Good luck,

Joe
wh55 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Guys, I sent the above to my neighborhood forum after my son and I fixed a mower for a neighbor that wouldn't start. I used an acetylene tip cleaner to clear the main jet. And I put a new o-ring gasket between the carb and the intake manifold. Sprayed the whole thing out and cleared the dirt off the outside... now it starts first pull.

My son says, "What do people do without someone who knows how to fix carb issues?"

I decided to try to help them avoid the issue.
wh55 and Grunt like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 09:11 PM

Yah, go with stabil for sure. Running it dry is the next best thing, but you are better off filling it up and adding stabil and then running it for about 5 minutes to get it in the carb as well.
I have a cub cadet and used to run it dry every year until one spring it wouldn't start until I let it crank a really long time. like 20 seconds at a time for three or for times. Or, I could spray some gas in the carb and it would start up. I dealt with that for two years after trying a bunch of fixes until I finally found out the Fuel Shut Off Solenoid was stuck shut. It was from gas left in the carb bowl that deteriorated over the winter gumming up the solenoid plunger. Leaving gas in with Stabil keeps the gas fresh and ensures the gas doesn't break down over long periods. I just "winterized" my Cub Cadet, Craftsman Leaf Blower and Homelite weed eater today all with full tanks and stabil. I have to dump the old gas out of my chain saws and put new in with stabil as they haven't been used since last fall and probably won't get used until this next spring.

Cub Cadet 1045 Rider
Craftsman 6.25hp pusher
Craftsman blower
Homelite string trimmer
The Following User Says Thank You to pepperpikker For This Useful Post:
Joe Kuhn (10-16-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 10:40 PM

Useful site for hunting down ethanol-free gas:

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Cenex stations nearly always carry it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reziac For This Useful Post:
Joe Kuhn (10-16-2019)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperpikker View Post
Yah, go with stabil for sure. Running it dry is the next best thing, but you are better off filling it up and adding stabil and then running it for about 5 minutes to get it in the carb as well.
I have a cub cadet and used to run it dry every year until one spring it wouldn't start until I let it crank a really long time. like 20 seconds at a time for three or for times. Or, I could spray some gas in the carb and it would start up. I dealt with that for two years after trying a bunch of fixes until I finally found out the Fuel Shut Off Solenoid was stuck shut. It was from gas left in the carb bowl that deteriorated over the winter gumming up the solenoid plunger. Leaving gas in with Stabil keeps the gas fresh and ensures the gas doesn't break down over long periods. I just "winterized" my Cub Cadet, Craftsman Leaf Blower and Homelite weed eater today all with full tanks and stabil. I have to dump the old gas out of my chain saws and put new in with stabil as they haven't been used since last fall and probably won't get used until this next spring.
What kind of Stabil? There are lots of kinds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page