Solenoid clicks, engine doesn’t turn over - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
General Lawnmower Repair Have a question not brand-specific? Ask it here. Changing oil, sharpening a blade, changing a spark plug? Ask your questions here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Solenoid clicks, engine doesn’t turn over

I have a 2 year old Cub Cadet with a 22hp Kohler engine. Out of the blue, the mower wouldn’t start. Solenoid clicks when I turn the key, battery voltage is good however there’s only 4 or 5 volts getting to the starter. I assume this is too low to crank the engine. Any suggestions or advice? Solenoid? Wiring? The flywheel is also rusty, i took off the engine cover off and the flywheel seems to be stuck as well. I’m hoping it’s not a seized engine.
Looking for advice, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:28 PM

I would pull the starter and see how well it turns and engages. Sounds like a starter problem to me.

If the devil danced in empty pockets he`d have a ball in mine

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 04:05 PM

Pull both spark plugs and squirt some WD40 or your choice of fogging oil liberally into each. Then wait a half hour, take a socket wrench on the flywheel nut and try to turn it. It may take a lot of torque if it's seized. If/when it's free, turn it over with the wrench until it's turning smoothly, then put the plugs back in and give it a try. If you hear bad clanking noises when turning it, STOP. Time to disassemble and look for carnage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 01:07 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy022 View Post
... battery voltage is good however there’s only 4 or 5 volts getting to the starter. ..

Sounds like wiring or solenoid issue to me. Check your voltage on the input side of the solenoid. If it 12V but much less on the output side to starter when engaged it could be bad solenoid. Could be just battery cable terminal corrosion too. Make sure your battery ground connection is good also.

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page