Overfilled oil. - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
General Lawnmower Repair Have a question not brand-specific? Ask it here. Changing oil, sharpening a blade, changing a spark plug? Ask your questions here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Overfilled oil.

I overfilled my mower today cause the oil on the dip stick never moved so I decided to out the whole container of oil. The mower started on firs-ull. By the way this is a brand new mower used for the very first time. I checked the air filter. after using the mower. Used the mower for about an hour. No oil on the air filter. So then I decided to drain the over filled oil. Now the level is where it should be. There were not any signs of white smoke or anything like that. So would the mower be OK?

This is a Briggs & Stratton 6.75 ft. lb. gross torque 163cc EXi OHV engine with ready start.

Requires no oil change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 02:35 PM

should be fine, if anything was going to happen it already would have.

if the dip stick isnt reading the oil then you have much bigger issues or you were under filled and needed to add oil. sounds like there might have been a void in the engine that needed to be filled and thats were the oil went that you say didnt change the level.

if it was a brand new engine that never had oil in it before then its always a good idea to do an oil change to remove any debris left behind during assembly and engine break in

as far as never needing an oil change, if using full synthetic oil i can see how that could be true based on never reaching that much running hours but im skeptical about it

You can only learn if you ask the question, so there are no dumb questions.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

That is good. I read about needing to change the oil on a brand new mower because of what you wrote. I will do that next Thursday.

Appreciate the reply.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

One more thing the mower started right up this morning without any problems. No smoke from the engine.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Overfilled oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
should be fine, if anything was going to happen it already would have.

if the dip stick isnt reading the oil then you have much bigger issues or you were under filled and needed to add oil. sounds like there might have been a void in the engine that needed to be filled and thats were the oil went that you say didnt change the level.

if it was a brand new engine that never had oil in it before then its always a good idea to do an oil change to remove any debris left behind during assembly and engine break in

as far as never needing an oil change, if using full synthetic oil i can see how that could be true based on never reaching that much running hours but im skeptical about it

I ordered Briggs and Stratton synthetic motor oil today. When that arrives will change oil then.

Below us a photograph from Briggs and Stratton web page.

Last edited by OneMarcilV; 07-08-2019 at 03:50 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMarcilV View Post
I ordered Briggs and Stratton synthetic motor oil today. When that arrives will change oil then.

Below us a photograph from Briggs and Stratton web page.

I read this now “When there is too much oil in lawn mower, it will have a hard start. White smoke will also be emitted by the muffler.”

Since my mower started right up I believe that all is well.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMarcilV View Post
I read this now “When there is too much oil in lawn mower, it will have a hard start. White smoke will also be emitted by the muffler.”

Since my mower started right up I believe that all is well.

Changed the oil last Monday. Filled to the specified amount. Should be good now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page