Scotts (by JD) steering sector issue - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
General Lawnmower Repair Have a question not brand-specific? Ask it here. Changing oil, sharpening a blade, changing a spark plug? Ask your questions here!

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Scotts (by JD) steering sector issue

Hi,

New to this site and it's my last resort for information on repairing one of my mowers. Never mind my other mowers which are now permenent fixtures in my garage it's the Scott's built by John Deere. I'll start off with something I keep reading over and over, that if the gas tank is behind the engine on a Scott's it was made my Murray. If the gas tank is in the rear of the mower it was made by John Deere. One of my questions is, if the battery is in front of the decal that says 'Manufactered by John Deere' is it an illegitimate off-spring of John Deere that no one talks about? I couldn't get the Scott's name to come up in most of the sites claiming to be subscribed to by people who pretty much know everything. I asked them 'why is the sky blue?' and they didn't know so they don't know everything. (Not bragging but I knew that even before there was an internet.)

Anyway, my dilema, my Scott's mower (ostensibly made by JD) has a steering sector and pinion gear that is so warn it is allowing the right tire to try to climb under the frame if it is turned too tight. I went to the local (32 miles) John Deere shop and asked if they had the sector and pinion which, wonder of wonders, he immediately said (without distain for it being a cheap knockoff of a JD) "Yes, I can order them."

While the John Deere representative didn't bat an eye on attaining the parts he did frown which, to me, didn't bode well. Not boding well is a common occurance toward any endevor to repair this illegitimate off-spring (of JD) since most internet sites quit even listing Scott's so they don't have to bode at all. The reason for the boding was evident when he told me the parts are WELDED so the pinion gear comes with the steering shaft and currently it's unknown what comes with the sector but I'll know soon enough. After all, I spent $480 just to find out. For the sake of accuracy I must note that I bought a belt (yearly occurance) and a set of blades (monthly occurance when my wife was 'helping' me mow). And I didn't ask if that pinion gear that was welded to the steering shaft also came with a permenently attached steering wheel. For Heaven's sake, who wears out a steering wheel?

I understand the reason for welding these parts together, cheapness, but, again, no site on the internet says word one about how this comes apart so to avoid harming my lawn by not mowing until the grass is so tall a small child could get lost in it, if I had a small child, I'm not dismantling the mower until I get first, the parts, and second, some smarts on what to expect. I don't want to get part way through only to find out I was missing the unicorn tears and a long lost voodoo chant last heard deep in the bowels of the Okefenokee Swamp in the land of stenotaphrum secundatum or St. Augustine grass to northern folk.

This post didn't need be as long as it is but I have nothing else to do as I await the delivery of my 'parts' and as I think about it there are a couple of other questions concerning this very same mower I need addressed but I'll delve into those in additional seperate and hopefully less verbose posts. I end this post literally begging, pleading, and close to bribing, anyone who has had the experience of changing out the steering parts of a Scott's (manufactured by JD) riding mower. Oh, if it's pertinent, there is a single drag link located on the right side and while the tie rod ends are not as tight as they once were I know that they are not the cause of the steering issue that causes the mower to veer to the right raising havoc with the wife's landscaping and the outboard blades so thank you in advance and be well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 01:54 AM
Administrator

Garage
I think I've had luck in the past getting the Scotts to show up on John Deere's site:

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/

They might have a service manual available too.

https://techpubs.deere.com/

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Hi, the //partscatalog is great since it shows an exploded view, something that I couldn't find before but the //techpubs took me to a site that was blocked by Firefox but not my inet security. I went ahead and allowed it until it changed my web browser and default search engine. I really want to see the manual it said it found that matched the serial number of the mower but after having allowed myself to be bit a couple times before I'm leary since it took me to https://freemanualsandguides.co and it's stuck at the voice, 'You're almost there, just click allow'. It actually matched my seriel number precisely for a component manual which is exactly what I need so I've yet to click it. Is this a site you've visited before? I just hate the fact that I have to be suspicious of every site that looks exceedingly helpful. I need to get this mower running so any info you could offer on that //freemanualsandguides I'd appreciate it. Oh, I just recalled that one of the reasons I was so untrusting is that the John Deere site charges for their manuals while this one is free. Is it free until they take a couple grand out of my bank account? How terrible it is to be this suspicious. Thank you for the links.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 12:58 AM
Administrator

Garage
I've always avoided those "Free manual" sites. They might be okay or cheap but whenever you download something you take a chance of getting a virus or a poor (not to mention illegal ) copy of something. I bought my service manual for my Deere on CD from the John Deere's tech pubs site that I linked to. Since your browser went to free manuals wonder if you have a browser redirection bug in your computer? Might want to do a full scan and see if anything bad comes up.

What is the model and serial of your tractor? I can try a search on Deere's site and see if I can find it. Maybe then if I give you a direct link to it you can avoid the free manuals redirect.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

What a waste of money.

I was able to obtain the two shafts that make up the steering gear on my Scott's (John Deere) which ran over $500 and I wish I had looked into replacing them more attentively. I haven't a clue how they got the short shaft with the steering sector welded on inside that mower. It had to be done when the chassis was completely bare because there is no way to get it out now. The gas tank sits on a metal frame of sorts that is bolted to the frame with the heads of the bolts inaccessible because of parts of the engine. You can see it from underneath through a rectangle cut in the frame which is by no means large enough to pull the shaft and sector down through and pulling it up is not possible. The steering wheel has to come off but they have run an oversized phillips head screw through the wheel and the shaft and being that the screw and the shaft are both steel the screw is rusted solidly to the shaft and being it's a phillips head the first thing it did was strip the head out so there's no removing the steering wheel. A saws-all will cut the shaft off between the wheel and the dash board but since there is no replacing that shaft I'd prefer not looking like some doofus mowing the lawn with a mower that has a vise-grip for a steering wheel.

I spent 6 and a 1/2 hours on it and the only thing I accomplished was to replace the deck belt and the blades and of course when that was done the mower wouldn't start since the grass is now a foot high. There's a click from somewhere near the rear axle when the key is turned and am guessing it's the solenoid. I would appreciate someone telling me where the solenoid is since it's not with the starter and the problem I have working alone is that I have to be sitting in the seat when I turn the key and no matter how quickly I jump down I can't locate precisely where the click originates I was able to fool the seat safety switch by placing a 22 lb box of .38 caliber wadcutters on it which worked until the carboard box broke and spilled the bullets pretty much everywhere in the dirt and grass clippings.

Years ago at the lake property we had a huge mower the city sold us. It had half a dozen knobs and gear shift levers with three rotary outriggers on each side with two in the center all run by a 30 horse motor. Since the monster weighed in at over 1500 lbs when it up and decided to meet the great lawn in the sky it unfortunately chugged it's last next to our rifle range back stop and soon became a target itself. It was very satisfying to dismantle it, as far as it could be dismantled with high powered rifles and pistols and as I gave that house up to my first wife and haven't been back there since, as far as I know that beast is still sitting there. I mention this because the Scotts I'm currently not working on is close to suffering the same fate though I will be much more discerning regarding shot placement. I hit the flywheel with a .30-.30 that ricocheted 180 degrees back off a cooling fin and broke the left lens of my sunglasses embedding the brass and lead in my cheek.

Ok, now that I've vented can someone tell me where the solenoid is located on a Scotts Manufactured by John Deere 2046 GX5037161 Date code 031200 This information would be greatly appreciated and may quite possibly prolong the life of this once very nice mower. Thanks
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 02:06 AM
Administrator

Garage
Sounds like a case of where the engineers never expected anyone to actually change those parts.

If the battery is in the back, might have to pull the battery and it might be beside where the battery sits. If nothing else follow the big red wire from the starter back towards the battery and you should find the solenoid in between there someplace.
keakar likes this.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

OMG, Mark, I found a post on this site from a person asking the same question about locating the starter solenoid and while his Scott's was a 2042 I'm sure that the mentally challenged design engineer at Deere was told to make sure to place the solenoid in a position in ALL Scotts by John Deere for that and other model years that was inconceivably difficult to find and even more difficult to remove. Since he couldn't place the solenoid inside on of the cylinders of the engine he placed it where it could only be installed and replaced on a bare chassis. So he did and the result was a location that can only be described as 'somewhat close to the battery, seat, rear tires, ground and sky, towards the back. And he was told to use fasteners that were still relatively new to the market in 2000 to make sure very few backyard mechanics had them as a normal part of the repairs they tried to make.

Waiting for sunrise at which time I will attempt to locate and test the solenoid since I'm pretty sure the no-start issue is not the starter since I went from a battery charger straight to the starter and it started to crank. Of course if I determine the solenoid to be bad I can't replace it since it's Sunday now and JD shops are closed so I'll just watch the grass get longer. Thanks for the post.

I about forgot, this is the location of the guy in the same boat as I, just in case anyone cared.

https://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/for...-solenoid.html

Oh, by the way, I was going to post in brand specific but I didn't think it would get noticed since there has been zero activity there for many years.

Last edited by Hangfire; 05-05-2019 at 07:23 AM. Reason: To explain why posting here and not in brand specific.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Matching models?

I began wondering how close is the relationship and to what model a Scotts build is to a John Deere. It may not be correct but I kind of picture a Scotts as a generic John Deere and as such there is a John Deere that comes close to matching it. It's a model GX2046 5037161 Date code 031200

I know there is some cheapness going on but in an effort to reduce costs I would imagine there would be the re-use of design and some parts. If this is the case I'd like to know which JD and if I'm totally off base just post 'Totally off base.' I'll get the idea.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 01:49 AM
Administrator

Garage
I don't know, maybe the STX series? My solenoid is up front as is the battery on the LT 150 about the same age as yours and I think it was on the LT155 and LT133 as well which was it's predecessor models. Fuel tank is in the back with a fuel pump on the engine.

The Saber was a cheaper model available too which was John Deere. I looked at one before getting mine. One difference I seem to recall was the use of cables for the deck lift and maybe also the brake where mine has steel linkages. Think maybe the front axle was tube steel rather then cast iron like on mine but not sure now. Either way I think they were still heavier made then the new models that are the lower price point.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark / Ohio View Post
Sounds like a case of where the engineers never expected anyone to actually change those parts.

If the battery is in the back, might have to pull the battery and it might be beside where the battery sits. If nothing else follow the big red wire from the starter back towards the battery and you should find the solenoid in between there someplace.
you are correct, on scotts mowers the battery comes out, then the solenoid is tucked in upside down against the inner frame rail so its near impossible to see what you are doing. very poor way to mount it and doesnt allow you good access

You can only learn if you ask the question, so there are no dumb questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page