Honda HRM215 Slips in 2nd gear, drive doesn't automatically disengage - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
General Lawnmower Repair Have a question not brand-specific? Ask it here. Changing oil, sharpening a blade, changing a spark plug? Ask your questions here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Honda HRM215 Slips in 2nd gear, drive doesn't automatically disengage

I have Honda Harmony HRM215 CB Serial Number: MZBB6004459 SXA. In second gear, the wheel will spin when they are in the air but when they hit the ground they stop. Every now and then the mower will spurt forward for a second in second gear but then stop. It runs perfectly fine in first gear. A few months after the slipping started, the drive stopped disengaging when I let go of the Drive Clutch Lever. It eventually disengages, usually when I'm going down hill or I manually lift up handle bars and the rear wheels off the ground and then push the handle downs and lift the front ones as it seems when the rear wheels are higher than the front it disengages. If I go down a very step bank it ALWAYS disengages.
For the slipping in second gear issue, I've tried the simple fix of removing the left real wheel and then fixing the gear piece right there to make sure all the parts are situated correctly. It helped making sure the wheels spun when in the air in second gear but that's it.
I've also seen a video that talks about the Clutch and Shift levers becoming lose due to stretching in the rectangular slots. Haven't pursued that yet.
I don't want to give up on this mower as I really don't like that you have to keep the blade running on the new mowers to keep the engine running which sucks when you have to go over something but don't want the blade running or you want to stop and move something out of the way.
Greatly appreciate your help. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Garage
Sounds like your cables are too loose. I believe there is a adjustment under the handle by controls, I have yet to adjust mine though. Bet just a little tightening of the cable will get you going.

John Deere LX172 bagger
John Deere 180 yard tug
1997 John Deere 345
1967 Sears Suburban SS10
1971 Bolens 1256
Craftsman 9HP snow blower
Honda HRB215SDA mower
Change is the normal with my tractor list!
John 3:16 Psalm 28:7 1 Corinthians 15:57
"Complain and remain, praise and be raised! "

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

I tried adjusting the cables but it didn't make a big difference though the wheels would spin a bit IF I pushed hard on the gear shift lever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 11:03 PM

Check out the parts diagram at this site: Honda Power Equipment - Parts Look Up - Official Site

You might have some loose or damaged part (maybe a spring) where the cables attach to the transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page