My Lawnmower Forum banner

Craftsman 18HP B & S Engine technical Carb Linkage Question

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Bart 
#1 · (Edited)
My older mower has an issue with the throttle not retracting. If I use my throttle cable the mechanisms move and slide and the carb lever throttles up. When I gate down to the turtle on my throttle, everything moves except the lever to the carburetor does not retract. It is not stuck either. Not sure if some spring broke or if there is something on the adjustment side I need to do. Below is a picture of the linkage and carburetor. Any help or suggestions is appreciated. I can manually throttle up and down and the choke works fine.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Typically the throttle cable would directly control the opening and closing of the throttle plate. A spring to the throttle shaft would usually be for the governor to control the maximum speed of the engine. You need to have someone throttle it up and down and watch what the throttle actually does. It's possible that the cable to the throttle just isn't doing its job.
If you could find the model number of the Briggs engine on your mower, which is often on shrouding near a cylinder head or on a tag on the engine, that would help find more detailed diagrams.

#8 ·
The cable does control the throttle when throttling up and the cable retracts When throttling down the throttle lever just does not come with it when throttling down, but it is loose and moves freely. Almost like it needs a spring to retract back?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.