My Lawnmower Forum banner

Simplicity Regent -leveling deck...Help !

11K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  suspicionofignorance 
#1 ·
Hope someone has experience leveling decks on Simp Regent lawn tractors...I've been very busy trying to restore this 38" model..almost done---then get stumped on how to accomplish front to rear deck height...Tractor is 1438 model #1692354, and I have the owners manual...History: Bought it for scrap value, but promised PO I wouldn;t scrape it...As I had a couple of these yrs ago, and always loved them...especially the cut....This machine had a blown Vanguard eng...which I had a spare ...hence ---start restoration of a very neglected tractor...
Now, in final readiness...I'm stumped on how to get proper front to back height adjusted....Manual claims it is all done with one small eccentric cam nut on the rear lift bar....Just can't get enuf...in fact, the rear of deck is lower by 1"...at best adjust...Soooo, I finally decided to 'mess " with the front quick latch bracket...and wondered why it has several mount holes...but, only one [evidenced by paint] The very top holes]--was ever used since this machine was new --22yrs ago...
Struggling with rusted bolts, managed to unmount and reposition it one hole lower in front...[as front was always too high]...It helped...now have the rear only 1/2" higher...would like to go level...BUT...repositioning that latch mount, caused the entire lift height to become lower...Max height now is around only 3"... Does anyone have thoughts...? Also, what is purpose of that allum collar drum mounted on one side...?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
My friend we never had a issue with one other than the front hitting pulley. Sounds like maybe something is worn out or bent?

#4 ·
Also, what is purpose of that allum collar drum mounted on one side...?
I'm guessing that is just a roll for the deck forward handle/where the deck is held onto in the front.

I had a simplicity for a short bit and I didn't like the particular model I ended up with. One was the deck too. Here is texas mud or dirt is everywhere and the roller would be caked and it took sometime to clean off. Plus the type of grass we have (st augustine) doesn't do a very good job of laying down like fescue would.

Hopefully you get to the bottom of why it's not level. But one time I easily overlooked the tires not all be properly inflated equally. Good luck!

#5 ·
Thnx for inputs so far...Manual has reminded me to check tires and for proper inflation...So that was done...Today I repositioned the front latch bracket back to it's orig position at top holes....I bolted the silver drum pull rod into the third hole...as I noticed it was shown "PartsTree diagram"...Strange, had to resort to a parts diagram ! But, can see where bolt #41 effects rod #42 pull length...

Simplicity 1692358 - Simplicity 38 Deck 38 Mower Deck - Height Adjustment Rollers Diagram and Parts List | PartsTree.com
inter
Seems the selected hole will definately effect deck rear height...Just getting too tired form all the "re-do", as the inter connected results.....AS it sits, it's way too low at rear...and when approaching level --well its just way too low a cut with selected height at highest...This puzzle probably best answered by a Simp dealer...just none nearby...and phone calls, as I recall, tend to end with" we can pick it up, and advise"...not cheap...Just realized we have Simplicity Forum...If an administrator wants to move this thread...please do...

#10 ·
Thnx for links....I've parked the Simplicity for now...Busy testing out couple other tractors that have been fixed....Will have to relook at this again....Yes...realize the rear rollers are always riding on ground...and manual shows how to level the deck...BUT...persistent problem remains trying to find a " happy medium" for higher heights and staying leveled...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.