Toro Z Master Commercial - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
ZTR and Commercial As the lawns get bigger, so do the machines used to keep them looking good!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Toro Z Master Commercial

Bought this Toro Z Master Diesel for $250. Was told the engine was run out of fuel and starter was burnt up. Drive was said to be good. I figured out it was the ignition switch that was burnt up and the guy was trying to start it from the empty tank (has two tanks). Got it running and it runs good. However, it doesn't drive good. Left side mostly just growls with no drive forward or backward. Right side works good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 09:11 PM

For that price I would just replace the left drive and even then you still have a bargan mower .
Left drives seem to fail more often than rights , don't know why just seems that way .
You could try replacing the oil and perhaps even the drive belt
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Same belt drives both pumps. I have found that there is a pressure outlet on each pump to check pressure. Think that will be my next move. Right now I'm not sure if the pump is bad or the motor is bad. May be both. Looking for a repair manual. I have found the parts manual and the Owner's manual so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 09:11 PM

Very hard to do on ZTR's but the standard test for belt tension is to turn the pulley.
Turning any pulley is the system should turn the engine over through two full rotations.
If not the belt is too loose.

Having said that the growling sound you hear from hydros is the oil leaking out the side of the cylinder block.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

I am going to try and pull the left pump today. It has just been so hot here lately and I am getting older and slower. You said the noise is fluid leaking out the side of the cylinder block. Is that usually from replaceable parts or is it from the housing being worn out? I have never torn one of these apart before. I do have the book from HydroGear with the pump breakdown in it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 10:29 PM

Yes they are repairable.
If you have the full parts break down you will see the round block thet the pistons move in and the plate with slots that controls the oil flow.
When you hear growling it is because the oil is squeezing out between the two rather than going into the pistons.
The pump & the motor are very similar, they both work the same way.
These units are made in a sterile dust free factory so they can not be clean enough.
When I do one I remove the unit, degrease it pressure wash it, soda blast it then pressure wash again before I start to pull it apart.
It gets worked on sitting on a damp towel & is covered with a damp towel every second that my hairy gloved mitts are not inside it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Wondering what is the best method to flush out the system so I am not pumping the nasties through the system after I get things fixed? Bought two filters and lots of 15W50 synthetic oil. I didn't buy a cooling filter yet (those things are expensive). I guess I need to replace that filter at least once also?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drive details.jpg (212.4 KB, 19 views)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Is there a better place to source new o-rings other than TORO? The TORO prices seem awful high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page