ZTR Buying Advice - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
ZTR and Commercial As the lawns get bigger, so do the machines used to keep them looking good!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

ZTR Buying Advice

Hello!

I need some help deciding on a ZTR. I recently moved to a 3.5 acre, mostly flat piece of property. There isn't too much real grass growing, but mostly weeds and old hay. My wife is trying to convince me I need a mid mount mower for my Kubota tractor, but I don't want to be spending hours and hours mowing this land, so I figured a ZTR is my best bet. My problem is, I don't know where to start. I recently borrowed a friend's John Deere Z915E, and boy it was fun! However, I don't have $8-9k to spend on a new one. I'm setting an arbitrary budget of $3000 to spend on a used machine. So far my requirements are:

-Commercial grade
-Fabricated deck
-Able to mow well at higher speeds
-Reliable (obviously)
-Easy to maintain

What brands should I be looking for? I've been mostly looking on FaceBook Marketplace, and Craigslist. I assume that there are certain brands that are better than others, but at this point, I'm not sure what those brands might be. Also, what should I limit the hours to? I've seen plenty with 1000, 2000 and even 3000+ hours, but I tend to shy away from those. I figure I should be looking for one with well under 1000 hours. Am I right to assume that?

Thanks for steering me in the right direction folks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 12:50 PM

Toro z masters are great machines, and used they run very close to ur budget. Look for one thatís got Under 1000 hours for sure, but they last way longer than that.

Itís not just about ground speed. You also need blade tip speed that can keep up with the ground speed, or ur gonna get a lousy looking cut. Again, toro can and does well in this Dept. Stay away from timecutters. They tear up the turf on the turnarounds. Anything you find in the commercial lineup should be fine.

Personally, Iíd try to buy from a homeowner looking to move up, rather than something coming from a landscaperís fleet, but thatís just me.

Yeah, the tractor option will get old fast.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! I did end up buying a Toro Z Master 253 with 1000 hrs on the dot. So far it’s been a great machine! Now, I just need rain so I have an excuse to use it more!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page