Zero Turn Lawnmowers question - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
ZTR and Commercial As the lawns get bigger, so do the machines used to keep them looking good!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Zero Turn Lawnmowers question

Hello!

I maintain about 2.5 acres around the house. Gently sloped multiple garden beds, mature trees, gravel drive, Belgian blocks, etc. There's a bent grass croquet court that I use an old Toro reel type on, cut at about 3/4", but the edges get cut with the rider. The base of the lawn is not as smooth as I wish.
It is too time-consuming, and general pia to mow with a garden tractor. Too hard to steer, too much circling and backing up, etc. Kills my wife's shoulders as well.
Because the lawn base is rough, it is hard on equipment, as it slowly gets rattled to pieces. I keep the air pressure pretty low in the tires, but after about 12 seasons, whatever I'm using is just worn out. And, it is hard on the spine to be beaten on 3 hr/wk cutting grass for 15 -20 weeks straight. Mine or her's.

So, I'm looking at light commercial mowers with a good cut and good suspension for routine mowing. Maybe 75 running hrs/yr. Don't need 10-gallon fuel capacity. But do need filters.
Does anyone have any insight on these mowers?
Lowes has a Husqvarna with a rear bagger and reinforced deck, but it's rigid mounted, and that's what we've beat to pieces in the past. And Rigid mounted decks are rattly and squeaky. But, if it'll last 25 years, I'll consider one.

For you lawn aficionado's, What are you using, and what do you like?

Cheers

Life is easy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:05 PM

Sounds like you may want to do some leveling. It may take some time but if its as bad as it sounds... Another thing possibly mow a little slower? Check around and se if there are any manufacturers that offer enhanced suspension seats on their non commercial zero turns
I am fortunate our yard is level and even. My Toro Timecutter does a super job.

Joe
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:40 AM

I have to agree with micah68kj. I had the same issues with a 2.5 Acre yard. It was formerly a row crop field that made mowing only possible at the lowest speed.
1) rented a tractor with a harley rake attachment that is used to level out rough yards.

2) sought out a zero turn with shock absorbers but it was much cheaper to purchase an aftermarket suspension seat for all of my mowers (3)
My mowers are circa 2001, 2014 and 2016 and all are running great and have no issues.

My wife and I now mow at highest reasonable speed to achieve a good cut and never have to worry about spine injuries from rigid mounted seats!

HOpe this helps. Good luck with your project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page