1996 Woods 6210 with Kawasaki FD620D - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
ZTR and Commercial As the lawns get bigger, so do the machines used to keep them looking good!

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

1996 Woods 6210 with Kawasaki FD620D

New to this forum but not to snow blower forum. I liked that forum and wanted the equivalent friendly and helpful lawnmower forum to support my 1996 Woods Mow'n machine that I am trying to keep operational to avoid spending another $7500 for a similar but new mower.

My Woods mower has both a DT 61 61" mower deck and the snowblower attachment. I also had a cab enclosure but it self destructed due to metal fatique. Steel cabs work harden if left installed year round. Simply put, they get beat to death. No amount of re-welding worked to save the enclosure. This 1996 Woods only has 760 hours of run time but I have repaired and replaced quite a bit

Motor is a 20 HP Kawasaki FD620D-BS03 two cylinder water cooled motor that is like what was used in the John Deere 425 and 445. These have a beyond warranty period know failure of the composite cam gear that fails between 700 hours to 1000 hours. My concern was whether or not my Woods (made by Grasshopper for Woods) mower had the same problem with a composite. Long story short. After calling Woods, Kawasaki, Grasshopper to ask the question regarding the camshaft specified in the Woods version of the Kawasaki FD620D I found that none of these organizations had a clue. So, after posting a question to the Gator Guy he suggested simply pulling the muffler cover, muffler, and water pump to check the gear. I did and found it has a composite cam gear. Repair kits are not available from Kawasaki, but there are three sources for kits that include the camshaft, tappets (valves), springs, governor, gaskets, etc. for about $300. A replacement water pump is another $60. I suppose when done with the hoses replaced the total part costs are about $400 plus my labor. Below is a picture of the cam gear which is composite. It feels like plastic and no magnet sticks to it.

Below is the latest problem with installing new wheels and tires on the DT61 mower deck. It shows how the tires rub the deck. It appears as the though design didn't allow for normal wear and there is too much caster built into the wheel lift assembly which premits tire rub. See the picture below:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 04:23 PM

Thanked 1,078 Times in 799 Posts
Welcome to MLF Pro100. Glad to have you come on over and join us here.
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 05:09 PM

Welcome Prof!

Looks like you have your work cut out for ya on that one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,227 Times in 1,133 Posts
Welcome to the site! I hope we can help you with any problems on your projects!

post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdbrn1 View Post
Welcome to MLF Pro100. Glad to have you come on over and join us here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
Welcome Prof!

Looks like you have your work cut out for ya on that one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead12 View Post
Welcome to the site! I hope we can help you with any problems on your projects!
Thanks guys. I think I figured out how to correct the tire rub program. I took the worse side (left side) apart and studied all the holes and bolts. Conclusion is simple. The are multiple bolt holes that have worn over the last twenty years. The wheel and tire needs to move forward and there are no replacement parts to fix it so I think the easiest way is modify the deck fork by cutting a wedge on each side from front to back and then closing it up with some well applied whacks with a dead blow hammer then TIG welding. It should increase the clearance so the tires do NOT rub the mower deck.
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Garage
Welcome! Your machine is one we never got into yet. Nice easy fix you came up with!
Prof100 likes this.

John Deere LX172 bagger
John Deere 180 yard tug
1997 John Deere 345
1967 Sears Suburban SS10
1971 Bolens 1256
Craftsman 9HP snow blower
Honda HRB215SDA mower
Change is the normal with my tractor list!
John 3:16 Psalm 28:7 1 Corinthians 15:57
"Complain and remain, praise and be raised! "

post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericjr16 View Post
Welcome! Your machine is one we never got into yet. Nice easy fix you came up with!
Having to cut a wedge and re-weld is simple enough but if the engineers had thought it through they could have simply designed in more clearance to start with provided they understood how the mower deck and wheel lift assembly would wear with use. This version of a WOODS ZTR was made by Grasshopper for Woods. Based on my experience with this WOODS mower which has only 760 hours of run time I am not a fan of these designs. I have had a range of electrical problems that would shut down the mower. That one cost me a few hundred dollars to have my local repair shop get going again. I am sure the time they spent diagnosing far exceeded the invoice I paid.

The Kawasaki FD620D is blessed with the plastic cam gear due to John Deere wanting a quieter motor. Of course, warranties are well expired by the time they fail, but the clowns at Kawasaki merely say they "build to John Deere specs" and John Deere hasn't been writing any checks to reimburse owners either. The shame is since my WOODS was built during the same era I got same bad design decision I can wait to see it fail or replace it before it does.

Bill
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Kawasaki doesn't sell rebuild kits. Short blocks are scarce. New motors are nearly $3000. I think they dumped their inventory about 5 or 6 years ago and a new crate motor could be picked up for $800. Today a new radiator has a MSRP of about $500.

So when my motor starting running hot on hot summer days I decided to change the thermostat which requires pulling the radiator. When I pulled the radiator I found an exuberant cleaning of the radiator fins with a power washer bent over some fins. I checked out the passages in the radiator and held it up to a bright light. I would estimate nearly half of the radiator was blocked with cottonwoods. Which literally looked like tuffs of cotton stuffed into the radiator core. With no radiators available at reasonable price my wife suggested washing it in the dishwasher. Two long cycles in the dishwasher, a pair of tweezers and I was able to straighten out the fins and open up the radiator by picking out the cottonwoods. Do you know how many passages there are in a radiator core? More than you can imagine. I can now see light passing through 90% of the radiator. What a royal PITA.
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 12:33 AM
Administrator

Garage
Yeesh, that would be a pain! Is there anyway to make a small frame to hold something like window screen mesh in front of the radiator to catch the fluff before it wedged in there?

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark / Ohio View Post
Yeesh, that would be a pain! Is there anyway to make a small frame to hold something like window screen mesh in front of the radiator to catch the fluff before it wedged in there?
There is a protective (expanded metal) screen that slides on but the cotton woods are fluffy and find there way through the screen too. It just built up over twenty years. It is kind of like death by a thousand paper cuts. The back part of my property is lined with cotton wood trees. I used to have a swimming pool that would be covered with the cottonwood seeds and jam up the filter and drive me nuts. After my daughter went to college I tore out the pool for many reasons and keeping the pool clean and filter clean is only one of them.

Cottonwoods are a nuisance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/forum/50-ztr-commercial/30017-1996-woods-6210-kawasaki-fd620d.html
Posted By For Type Date
ZTR and Commercial on Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum | BoardReader This thread Refback 09-05-2015 12:05 AM