Honda GXV120 rebuild... - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
Small Engine Repair Discussion Talk about issues or tips you may have for others regarding small engine repairs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanked 1,078 Times in 799 Posts
Honda GXV120 rebuild...

I started to do a rebuild on a Honda GXV120 engine from a HR214SXA mower that had suffered a bent crank shaft. Since the engine is going to be opened up for that proceedure, I'll also put new rings in it since they tend to have a history of needing to be replaced eventually anyway. I'll also be cleaning the carb and just generally going over the engine while it's on the bench.

Let's make this a Q and A sort of thing. If you have any questions, please ask them. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, and I'll probbly have some questions of my own. If I, or anybody else has the answers to any of the questions that come up, jump on in. We're all here to learn.

For now, I'll start with this. Here's the engine that I'll be working on. A GXV120 Overhead Valve engine with the shaft drive outlet for the transmission on the HR214SXA.

Probably two of the best tools in my tool box for working on these mowers and engines, and a great investment for anybody thinking about setting out on a DIY project.

I'll be back later with the beginning of the rebuild.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bwdbrn1 For This Useful Post:
Austen (05-15-2013), Capstan (05-15-2013), Ceegar (04-08-2015), Five Points (05-15-2013), motorhead12 (05-15-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 10:57 AM

When Honda were literally the best Engine money could buy on a mower IMO

-Stan

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Looks to be the beginning of an educational experience. Thanks for involving us

I have my note pad ready sir.

Like us on Facebook!
Guaranteed not to Rust, Bust, Collect Dust, Chip, Peel or Leak at the Seal!
I have to go, Frank and Mike are at the gate.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,227 Times in 1,133 Posts
Looking forward to this!

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Points View Post
Looks to be the beginning of an educational experience. Thanks for involving us

I have my note pad ready sir.
So Do I! :ROFL

Subscribed to this thread! Something I hardly ever do!

Awaiting Progress eagerly.

-Capstan

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 04:08 PM

I have a question, is the GXV 120 very similar to the GXV 140? And will you be taking pics of it as you go? I've never seen the internals of a honda mower engine yet.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Gosh, I hope this goes well then.

Before getting into this, let me start by saying, it's a good idea to take your time. We're not in a NASCAR pit crew and we don't have to get this thing back on the yard in record time.

Look things over good before, and during the disassembly. Have a good idea of what things look like, where they're at, and how the different parts fit and work together before taking them off.

You may want to clean things up a bit before beginning the disassembly. After all, this is a piece of outdoor power equipment, and you can expect it to be dirty, but we don't want to get or leave any of that dirt in it as we put it back together. Besides, it's always more comfortable to work on something that's at least fairly clean.

As you take things off, put them somewhere out of the way, and in a place you know you'll be able to find them again. Nothing worse than tripping and stumbling over bits and pieces of the engine you're working on other than stepping on something and either bending or breaking it when it could have been out of harms way.

So, let's get started. Now, this engine had already been removed from the mower, so the list of tools necessary might a bit longer than what I'm showing here. The list of tools you need for the engine is actually pretty short, and other than a torque wrench, nothing specialized.

You'll need:

10mm socket for most everything. 12mm socket to remove the head bolts and a 19mm socket to remove the flywheel nut.

I actually use a 1/4" drive ratchet wrench for most everything. A 3/8" breaker bar to get the head bolts to loosen, and I'll admit, I cheated and used an air impact to get the flywheel nut off.

You'll need a #2 phillips screw driver and a flat bladed screw driver, and a pair of needle nose pliers for the carb. Honda has published a darn good video of how to clean one of these carbs, so I'll just reference it rather than go into it in this rebuild.

A set of feeler gages to set the valves, a plastic mallet to help separate the oil pan from the block, and I used a small chisel at one point, and a length of rope. I'll try to remember to mention how and why when I get to those last two.

First thing obviously is to strip the engine naked, so to speak.

The air cleaner, shroud and dip stick tube come off first. The recoil is attached to the shroud and comes off with it. I can tell you that one of the hardest parts of this whole process is getting the shroud up over the fuel filler neck. There is a rubber grommet on the shroud that fits up next to the filler neck that seems intent to holding onto the shroud on everyone of these I've worked on.

Next, I remove the control, as Honda calls it. It's that part on the side of the engine that the throttle cable attaches to. You see the link to the choke on the carb in the picture above. What you don't see is a coil as it had been robbed from this engine for another before I got it. The engine shut off switch is also on the control, and the wire from that switch to the coil has to be removed if yours still has the coil on it. Two bolts holds the control to the block. Remove the governor spring at the bottom of the governor arm and the throttle control and set it aside. Removing the control also makes it easier to get the choke rod off without having to bend or twist the rod, or worse, break the plastic choke arm. You can just finagle the control around to get it disconnected.

Next you can slide the carb out away from the head. It might take a pretty good tug, and you may actually have to put a lever behind it to get it to budge from the engine. Pull it out until the governor rod and the slot in the top of the throttle lever line up, then you can lift the governor rod up and out. Use a pair of needle nose pliers to turn the end of the anti-surge spring up and out of it's hole in the throttle lever.

Yes, this carb will need to be cleaned, and here is the video that shows you how much better than I could. In case this gets lost in translation, go to the drop down "service" menu, choose "service videos" then "GX series cleaning guide." Don't expect any sparkling dialog, because there isn't any. Just somebody's hands showing you what to do.

Honda Engines Europe EEC

Next up, remove the valve cover. There's your overhead valves. Spin the flywheel around until both rocker arms are loose, then you can easily push down on the springs and move the rocker arms to the side a bit and pull out the push rods. There are 4 bolts holding the head to the block. Two outside and two inside with the OHV.

Usually a fairly gentle tug gets the head off, and the head gasket comes right off too. It's up to you if you want to remove the two dowel pins. Sometimes they slip right out, sometimes not. The remnants of the head gasket are easy to remove with a single edged razor blade.

Note the arrow on the top of the piston and the direction it's pointing. The elongated hole on the right side of the picture is where the push rods go and that arrow points toward that hole when you go to put the piston back in later.

Now you can flip the engine over and get ready to remove the oil pan. There's seven bolts that hold it on. Two of them are right at the bottom of this picture. The other five are in the dirt and crud on the bottom of the engine. Normally I'd recommend starting with one of the bolts and going clockwise around the pan as you remove them, and lay them out, left to right as you set them down. The reason being that sometimes the pan bolts are of different lengths, and in removing and arranging them this way, you can just reverse the procedure during reassembly and they all fall into the right hole. In this case, they're all the same length on the GXV120, so you can just remove the willy nilly and throw them in a drawer together.

You can try to lift up on the oil pan after you get all the bolts out, it might just separate from the block. In case it doesn't, use a plastic mallet and lightly tap the pan where it over hangs on either side of where the dip stick tube goes. That's where the two dowel pins are.

Once you get the oil pan off, this is what you see. As I had said, this engine is from an HR214SXA, which means it has a shaft driven two speed transmission. You see the plastic governor and the drive shaft in the oil pan. The drive shaft is driven off of the spiral gear on the cam shaft that is still in the engine block.

Make note of the two dots you see in this picture. Those are the timing marks that you will be lining up when you put things back together. The small one is on the crankshaft, and sometimes it's just a small "O" that you really have to look for. The heavier mark on the right is on the cam shaft.

The cam shaft just lifts out. Since this cranks shaft is bent, I had to remove the flywheel nut, pull the flywheel first, then the crankshaft just pulls out.

Here's one of the two dowel pins in the block that line the oil pan up. It's easier to get the old gasket off if those are out of the way, but this one was the only one of the two that came out.

You see that black plastic thing with the sort of crown shaped end on it just tot he right of my thumb? That thing is called an oil defense pipe. It sticks out from the bottom of the block when the oil pan is out of the way, so be careful and don't break it, or you oil defenses will be gone when you put the engine back together. I know I said this should be an Q and A, but don't ask me what the thing does or why, I don't know. It's just supposed to be there and it must be important to get a name like oil defense pipe. Those things are supposed to be locked in place, but this one lifted out, and they only fit in one way if yours comes out too.

O.K., so everything else is out of the way, time to pull the piston out. Rotate the crankshaft around until you can get a socket wrench with a 10mm socket down in there to remove the two connecting rod bolts. Note the line on the left side. They're like an arrow pointing you in the right direction during reassembly. Remember the arrow on the piston? When the piston is in correctly, the line on the top end of the connecting rod assembly will be there, so just line up the line on the bottom end, and life is good.

We've gotten everything out of the block, and here's one of the things that makes this engine special. The top end spins on a bearing. One of the other things is the cast iron cylinder sleeve that makes this rebuild possible.

So for now, let's take a break and we'll start the reassembly later.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,047 Posts
Wow, very detailed! This is terrific!

"We donít look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever." - 2 Corinthians 4:18 1958 Eclipse 32" Speedway l Restored Eclipse Sulky l 1947 Jacobsen 26" Lawn King Jacobsen 36-A Sulky Restored 1949 Jacobsen 20" Lawn Queen l Honda HRB215 l 1977 Economy Tractor l 1971 Bolens 1886-01
The Following User Says Thank You to Austen For This Useful Post:
bwdbrn1 (05-15-2013)
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoulk View Post
I have a question, is the GXV 120 very similar to the GXV 140? And will you be taking pics of it as you go? I've never seen the internals of a honda mower engine yet.
Yes, they are very similar. The primary difference is the bore size. I plan to take lots of pictures, and if there is anything in particular you want to see, let me know and I'll try to get a picture of it for you.

Here's a few numbers to compare the GXV120 to the GXV140

GXV120 - 118 cc
Bore and stroke - 60 X 42 mm
Max HP - 4.0 at 3,600 rpm
Max torque - 5.92 ft-lb at 2,700 rpm

GXV140 - 135.1 cc
Bore and stroke - 64 X 42 mm
Rated HP - 5.0 at 3,600 rpm
Max torque - 7.6 ft-lb at 2,500 rpm

Last edited by bwdbrn1; 05-16-2013 at 07:56 AM.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

O.K., so everything is apart, cleaned, and almost ready to start to reassemble.

First, I took a look at the parts diagrams, figured out the parts I'd need and ordered them up to have on hand before I got started. There may be other things that you find you need as you get into the tear down, but these things I knew I'd need ahead of time.

The parts, and their Honda part numbers are:

11381-ZG9-T00 - Pan Gasket
12251-ZE6-000 - Head Gasket
12391-ZE7-T00 - Valve Cover Gasket
91201-ZG9-U71 - Lower Oil Seal
13010-ZE6-013 - Standard Ring Set
16212-ZG9-J60 - Carb Gaskets (2)
BPR5ES - NGK Spark Plug (Honda has a part number for it, but it's still an NGK BPR5ES)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/forum/5-small-engine-repair-discussion/8313-honda-gxv120-rebuild.html
Posted By For Type Date
honda hra214 bag - Page 3 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information This thread Refback 02-26-2017 12:40 PM
HR215 Down This thread Refback 06-03-2016 10:24 PM
HR215 Down This thread Refback 02-01-2016 03:30 PM
Honda HR215 - Page 2 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information This thread Refback 04-23-2015 07:41 AM
Honda HR215 - Page 2 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information This thread Refback 11-29-2014 08:22 PM
honda hra214 bag - Page 3 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information This thread Refback 05-29-2014 02:13 AM
honda hra214 bag - Page 3 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information This thread Refback 11-22-2013 07:10 AM
HR215 Down This thread Pingback 06-24-2013 07:30 PM