Mower Blade Install - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
Small Engine Repair Discussion Talk about issues or tips you may have for others regarding small engine repairs.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Mower Blade Install

I had to buy a new blade for my mower. I want to make sure I get this blade on correctly. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the blade turns in a clockwise direction from left to right if you are standing behind the mower. The blade should be sharp side down and facing in that clockwise position of left to right? Is that correct? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 11:10 PM

Yes, think of how the engine will turn when you pull on the starter cord. That's how the blade will turn when the engine starts, so the sharp edge of the blade needs to go toward the front of that turning action to do the cutting.

Seems like a simple enough question and answer, but it's easy to get confused when you're under the machine putting it on. I just look up and see that starter cord and see myself pulling it...

I did get a mower this year that had a blade mounted backwards. The gal who did it is the most mechanically minded woman I know, but she got it wrong. Only reason I know this is because the owner, her friend, hit something and bent the blade so it had to be replaced...and then it didn't want to start. It ended up in my shop after a lot of carburetor checking, etc. Here's why:
Attached Images
File Type: png splitkey.PNG (446.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Joe Kuhn; 09-03-2020 at 11:16 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 12:36 AM

Talking Blade Lift

Every mower blade I have seen has lift wings opposite the cutting edge. Just remember when you install the blade that the wings go up, or think of an angel with wings going up to heaven. As long as the wings are facing toward the sky you are good to go. Bill
DaHen, keakar and Joe Kuhn like this.

1968 Lawnboy 3054 Mower
1973 Lawnboy 8231 Mower
1975 Lawnboy 5024 Mower
1975 Lawnboy 5273 Mower
1976 Lawnboy 5274 Mower
1977 Lawnboy 5024 Mower
1980 Lawnboy 7268 Mower
1982 Lawnboy 5247 Mower
1982 Lawnboy 5247 Mower
1972 Lawnboy 1015 Edger
1972 Lawnboy 1015 Edger
1987 Lawnboy 1400CL Trimmer

Where there's a will, there's Mr. Bill!
They don't call me MacGyver for nothing!
I have LBAD and DCAD!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the good info guys. I have attached a photo of my mower with the blade attached. The mower is titled back. I have not bought a new blade yet. This is the original blade. Does it look like it is on correctly? Looks to me like what wings there are do point upward. The blade does seem to still be sharp. I tried to take the nut off with a socket but it won't budge. I even tapped it a few times with a hammer but it is on there but good. Would a bit of wd-40 help loosen that up? If the blade is in the right position and since it is still sharp, I might just leave it on but I would like to know how to get the nut off for future work on it.
One other thing, the reason it is titled backward is when I turned it on its side carb up and exhaust down, Oil came out of the exhaust.
I don't know if I have caused a bigger problem because of that or not. I can't start it yet because I am waiting on carb springs to come in so I can reassemble the carb and put stuff back together. I had an issue with "hunting" so I cleaned out the carb and replaced the primer bulb/gasket/diaphragms and the springs. The original springs fell off.
Just for reference, the mower is a 450 series Briggs Model 9t502 type 0120 B1 code 08022 852
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mower Blade.jpg (333.6 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Sentinel; 09-04-2020 at 03:00 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Wow, looks like the key sheared away but good. I hope I don't have a problem like that. Thanks
Joe Kuhn likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
...Does it look like it is on correctly? Looks to me like what wings there are do point upward.

...I would like to know how to get the nut off for future work on it.

...when I turned it on its side carb up and exhaust down, Oil came out of the exhaust. I don't know if I have caused a bigger problem because of that or not...
"Wings up" looks good, but I'd replace that blade. The ">" shape on the left side doesn't look right and I wonder if the blade is evenly balanced. I believe a new blade is in order.

Also notice your blade adapter above the nut holding your blade on is broken. I've outlined in red where a piece broke away. I'd get that new too.

To take that nut off, I'd put a pipe on my wrench or socket handle to extend the reach and increase the leverage. Trick is, when you pull (from the right, towards you), you've got to keep the blade from turning. I've always been able to do that by wedging my foot/shoe between the blade and the deck. A short 2x4 will do it as well.

Of course your spark plug wire is removed before doing any of this.

Oil will have settled back down by the time you get 'er running again. I'll often tip them towards the oil dip stick with the stick out and a pan underneath to catch the oil. Why go under there without changing the oil and sharpening the blade? But then my customers never change the oil themselves...

Giterdun. Good to you for working on it.
Attached Images
File Type: png Blade.PNG (329.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: png Blade adapter.PNG (351.9 KB, 3 views)
Grunt likes this.

Last edited by Joe Kuhn; 09-04-2020 at 03:41 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for showing me that, it went unnoticed by me for sure. Looks like I won't be mowing anytime soon. I'll have to see how I can get a blade adapter here in the Philippines. It would be simple to do if I were in the States but parts are hard to find here. At least I know about it now and can work on fixing it.
I thought all mowers spun in the same direction but I saw one on YouTube that spun the opposite of mine, counterclockwise, right to left. But I made sure by pulling the starter cord that it does spin left to right.
Thanks again for the help, that will keep me out of trouble. Take care.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 04:11 AM

I've probably got a blade adapter I can send you. 7/8 inside diameter for that shaft I bet. Can you get a pipe on your wrench to get the bolt loose?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
...I saw one on YouTube that spun the opposite of mine, counterclockwise, right to left. But I made sure by pulling the starter cord that it does spin left to right...
I'd be interested in that video. Care to post the reference here?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 01:18 AM
Administrator

Garage
Some of the old Case and Simplicity riders had left side discharge mower decks.
Joe Kuhn likes this.

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page