Kawasaki FC290V only runs with starter fluid - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
Small Engine Repair Discussion Talk about issues or tips you may have for others regarding small engine repairs.

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Josh411
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kawasaki FC290V only runs with starter fluid

I'm working on my John Deere RX73. After finally getting the no spark figured out. I put everything back together. Had some trouble getting it started but after some adjustments on the carb, it fired up and ran fine except for burning oil. Drained it and refilled to the right amount and that straightened out.

I was testing the transmission to make sure the mower would drive properly. After doing so I out it back into neutral. Then the engine started to big down a couple times before eventually shutting off completely. Now I can't get it started again unless I throw some carb cleaner or starter fluid in the intake. I thought maybe the float or needle valve was bad so I just put on a whole new carb. Still cant get it started. I'm wondering if maybe the engine flooded. Any thoughts?
Josh411 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 05:14 PM
Senior Member
 
keakar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: louisiana
Posts: 587
Thanks: 7
Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh411 View Post
I'm working on my John Deere RX73. After finally getting the no spark figured out. I put everything back together. Had some trouble getting it started but after some adjustments on the carb, it fired up and ran fine except for burning oil. Drained it and refilled to the right amount and that straightened out.

I was testing the transmission to make sure the mower would drive properly. After doing so I out it back into neutral. Then the engine started to big down a couple times before eventually shutting off completely. Now I can't get it started again unless I throw some carb cleaner or starter fluid in the intake. I thought maybe the float or needle valve was bad so I just put on a whole new carb. Still cant get it started. I'm wondering if maybe the engine flooded. Any thoughts?
sure sounds like it flooded out on you from a bad float needle, to check this just pull the dip stick and if it smells like gas, then it flooded and you know you need to change oil and filter again and replace the carburetor

this is why i dont even bother trying to save a carb unless the engine is running fine and just slowly floods after sitting a while or overnight, then in those cases i will try a carb kit and put a new float seat in to save a few dollars and that usually sorts things out

but the reality is, when you can buy a new carb for $25 vs a rebuild kit for $12 so its not worth your labor time fooling around with trying to save it so its actually cheaper to just replace the carb rather then try to fix an old carb

You can only learn if you ask the question, so there are no dumb questions.
keakar is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh411 View Post
I'm working on my John Deere RX73. After finally getting the no spark figured out. I put everything back together. Had some trouble getting it started but after some adjustments on the carb, it fired up and ran fine except for burning oil. Drained it and refilled to the right amount and that straightened out.

I was testing the transmission to make sure the mower would drive properly. After doing so I out it back into neutral. Then the engine started to big down a couple times before eventually shutting off completely. Now I can't get it started again unless I throw some carb cleaner or starter fluid in the intake. I thought maybe the float or needle valve was bad so I just put on a whole new carb. Still cant get it started. I'm wondering if maybe the engine flooded. Any thoughts?
sure sounds like it flooded out on you from a bad float needle, to check this just pull the dip stick and if it smells like gas, then it flooded and you know you need to change oil and filter again and replace the carburetor

this is why i dont even bother trying to save a carb unless the engine is running fine and just slowly floods after sitting a while or overnight, then in those cases i will try a carb kit and put a new float seat in to save a few dollars and that usually sorts things out

but the reality is, when you can buy a new carb for $25 vs a rebuild kit for $12 so its not worth your labor time fooling around with trying to save it so its actually cheaper to just replace the carb rather then try to fix an old carb
Alright I'll have to pick up some more oil and give that a try. Already replaced the carb so hopefully this is all that's needed. Thanks for the advice. I'll update after I try it.
keakar likes this.
Josh411 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 08:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 728
Thanks: 33
Thanked 93 Times in 84 Posts
I don't think it's flooding...if it needs carb cleaner or start fluid, and it starts..assume runs...! I had owned that model many years ago...recall it had a fuel pump? Or perhaps gas line is collapsing, restrictive...or clogged filter...?
suspicionofignorance is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2020, 01:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 148
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Start the engine with the carb cleaner
As it dies give it another SMALL shot
If you can keep the engine running for a minute or so like this then you have a fuel supply problem.
If it has a solenoid on the carb that would by my next port of call.
Check tha it retracts very quickly & fully when the ignition is turned on.
bertsmobile is online now  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suspicionofignorance View Post
I don't think it's flooding...if it needs carb cleaner or start fluid, and it starts..assume runs...! I had owned that model many years ago...recall it had a fuel pump? Or perhaps gas line is collapsing, restrictive...or clogged filter...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertsmobile View Post
Start the engine with the carb cleaner
As it dies give it another SMALL shot
If you can keep the engine running for a minute or so like this then you have a fuel supply problem.
If it has a solenoid on the carb that would by my next port of call.
Check tha it retracts very quickly & fully when the ignition is turned on.
This model doesnt have a solenoid or a fuel pump. It's gravity fed and a recoil. I drained the oil and put new in. It didn't turn over at first so I used starter fluid and it kicked on and ran until I turned in off. I let it sit for a few minutes and tried again and it worked. The third time however it didn't. I know I'm getting low on fuel in the tank but the float bowl should be full as I can see fuel in the filter and I can drain fuel out of the bowl. Now it won't start even with starter fluid. All I get is a puff of black smoke out of the intake.
Josh411 is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 09:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 728
Thanks: 33
Thanked 93 Times in 84 Posts
Your original thought was flooding...but you put on a new carb..Right? And you say you need to spray with carb cleaner to get it started...That step will NOT start a flooded engine...Yet, the black smoke you saw is an indication of flooding....Two different situations here..!
suspicionofignorance is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome