Tractor just started getting LOUD - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
Small Engine Repair Discussion Talk about issues or tips you may have for others regarding small engine repairs.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Austen

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Tractor just started getting LOUD

2014 Cub Cadet LTX1050 w/24hp Kohler Twin

Last 2 times I've mowed, exhaust note has gotten noticeably louder. Exhaust doesn't sound normal...higher pitched, kinda "poppy". Also seems just a little down on power, especially under more load.

While idling, I set the parking brake, got off, opened the hood, and found exhaust seems to be leaking around the area where the muffler/manifold bolts to the head (passenger side). I replaced the exhaust gaskets (they were worn out), still loud. Doesn't seem quite as down on power, but can still feel it under a load.

Muffler looks OK, no rust, no visible holes or damage. Kinda stumped.

Like new condition, only 156 hours. New plugs & fresh oil change at start of this season. Compression is great.

Possible muffler is shot? Maybe where the muffler pipe is welded to the manifold flange. I must be not seeing something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,345 Times in 1,050 Posts
Hi Dee,

To find out some more information, has it been harder to start or had any backfiring on shut down or when you start it up at all? I had a Kohler CH22 v-twin on a former machine that had a spark advance module fail and had a similar symptom of the exhaust note changing. I thought it was a fuel related issue but no cleaning of the carb or fuel system solved the problem. It turned out the ignition advance system failed and was throwing the timing off.

It sounds like you've already done some elimination. Done the fuel filter before? They can clog and be source of power loss. If you feel comfortable taking the carburetor apart, it wouldn't hurt or at least try running some fuel treatment through before moving on to the ignition.
Grunt likes this.

"We donít look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever." - 2 Corinthians 4:18 1958 Eclipse 32" Speedway l Restored Eclipse Sulky l 1947 Jacobsen 26" Lawn King Jacobsen 36-A Sulky Restored 1949 Jacobsen 20" Lawn Queen l Honda HRB215 l 1977 Economy Tractor l 1971 Bolens 1886-01
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 07:20 AM

Garage
Welcome from Gettysburg

Perpetual Optimism is a force multiplier!!
John Deere D-140
Toro 22" GTS, 6.5 hp SP Personal Pace
97 Lawn Boy 10200, 6.0 hp
Troy Bilt 21" TB230 4 .5 hp, SP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 06:52 PM

Just double check to make sure the exhaust manifold bolts are not loose. I have have it happen to me twice. I have since put a small dab of loctite on them. I have had to replace one of the bolts each time.
I have a 2007 LT1045

Cub Cadet 1045 Rider
Craftsman 6.25hp pusher
Craftsman blower
Homelite string trimmer
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 09:16 PM

You may want to check if you are actually running on both cylinders....Yes, sometimes it can fool ya...Try pulling each spark plug wire off while eng idling...Use insulating cloths...you should notice a definate drop in RPM when each cyl is shut down...If one does not cause the drop...it's dead and you'll need to investigate just that cylinder , coil, valve adj, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page