Motor Oil for lawn mowers - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
Small Engine Repair Discussion Talk about issues or tips you may have for others regarding small engine repairs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Motor Oil for lawn mowers

I've noticed most manufactures suggest SAE30 for push and riding mowers. I also noticed SAE30 is getting harder to find. Even Wally World does not sell the big 1 gallon jugs of it.

Is there a preference you have for oil? Will 5W30 work? I have also noticed manufactures warn against using 10W30 in 4 stroke engines.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 09:57 AM
87powershiftx2

best to read the owners manual for oil specs, as it depends a lot on air temps. yet since lawn mowers are run with the air temp over 50 degs 30w is what recommended in air cooled engines,
finding 30w i have no problems getting either 30 non hd or 30 hd at tractor supply under their store label in 5 qt jugs or walmart under the supertech label in 5 qt

i have many ask me who makes supertech? it's bottled by the warren oil company for walmart and is a good oil
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks PowerShift! Good advice on Tractor Supply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 07:15 PM

5w30 oil runs at straight 30W consistency oil at normal operating temps. 5W30 is thinner than straight 30W at cooler temps and will be better for starting and until the motor warms up, especially if you live in a colder area where you might be starting it at lower temps. I run 5w30 full synthetic in all my mowers, but I live in Wisconsin. Ccheck out the chart below, but keep in mind that temps are in Celsius, not Fahrenheit.

Cub Cadet 1045 Rider
Craftsman 6.25hp pusher
Craftsman blower
Homelite string trimmer

Last edited by pepperpikker; 03-10-2020 at 07:20 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 03:20 AM

tractor supply or rural king is where I find SAE 30 not so much at Walmart or even auto part stores
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 08:15 AM
87powershiftx2

just for a note

many may find 30w at TSC in the traveler name in a white jug with a blue label for hd of 5 qts or a white jug with a red lable for non Hd even find it in a pennzoil name
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30hd.jpg (5.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 30 non.jpg (5.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg pennzoil 30 w.jpg (7.9 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by 87powershiftx2; 03-11-2020 at 08:16 AM. Reason: labels
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 01:54 PM

Iím surprised no one said amsoil

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...ll-engine-oil/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,230 Times in 1,136 Posts
Lawn mowers aren't that picky about motor oil. Lubrication has come a long way from the 1960's and most mower engines are basically last century tech. I run diesel engine oil because it's robust and I buy it in large containers. If you've torn down old engines, you often see a ridge at the top of the cylinder due to wear, but you never see that anymore. 5W30, 10W30, SAE 30, etc. will all work fine as anti-wear, dispersant, and detergent additive packages are far far better than they were even 20 years ago. The only exceptions to that would be extreme cold and extreme heat conditions. Snowblowers start easier with synthetic 5W30, and on the opposite end of the spectrum, a generator running full bore all day in a summer blackout or a big V-Twin on a ZTR running in Texas heat will appreciate some nice stout Mobil 1 15W50 or the like. Modern oils will keep your push mower engine running long after the wheels fall off and the deck rusts out.

P.S. That Amsoil "Small Engine" stuff is super expensive but is great for engines that work in the heat all day (generator/commercial turf engine). I believe it's actually a monograde with no viscosity index improvers that has a base oil with a high enough viscosity index to meet the requirements for a multigrade.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 10:22 PM

There does seem to be a conspiracy to stop sale of straight 30W...not easy to locate....Be careful to avoid the non detergent..that is avail...My belief was, older design engines need the "cushioning" for the rod and crank...that straight 30w offers in summertime...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,230 Times in 1,136 Posts
Yes, ND oils are only good for air compressor pumps and the like. SAE 30 works fine for general use but is actually on the thin side at operating temp for a commercial mower in high heat. Briggs Vanguard and Kawasaki engines are now specced for full syn 15W50, which provides a much more robust high temp high shear viscosity for heavy load and high heat conditions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page