Engine Redlines / Revs out of Control! - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
Small Engine Repair Discussion Talk about issues or tips you may have for others regarding small engine repairs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Engine Redlines / Revs out of Control!

I've got a Scotts's L2048, which is really just a John Deere painted orange. It has a 2 cylinder Briggs Indek mower.
I pulled it out of the barn to use it the other day and noticed a tire needed air. So I backed in and shut it down. I aired up the tires and got back on.
When I started it back up it revved out of control to the point I thought the engine would blow. I shut it down and checked the cables, linkage and springs.
Nothing had slipped and everything looked to be where it should. Started it back up and same thing. Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks,
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:34 AM
Administrator

Garage
Might be the throttle plate came loose from the shaft. Either that or governor problems if the linkage seems to be working normal otherwise. I would pull the carb first and see if the throttle plate is still attached to the shaft or if it is stuck in the intake someplace and the screws that held it gone missing.

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Mark. Both side of the throttle plate are moving as they should when I move the choke cable. It's a 2 barrel carb and the throttle plate appears to be one piece.
I guess that leaves the governor? I've never replaced one on this model mower, but there's a first time for everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:35 PM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifon14 View Post
.....Both side of the throttle plate are moving as they should when I move the choke cable. ....

Sure your not mistaking the choke plate for the throttle plate? The choke plate is near the front where the air goes in and the throttle plate will be closer to the engine past the fuel jets in the carb. Not sure you can see the throttle plate without removing the carb from the intake manifold. I'll see if I can find a manual for that. We might have it in our reference library.

Edit: Here we go, think this is the manual for it. Take a look at page 23 of the pdf file. The choke plate is one piece and the throttle plates are two piece.

See pdf file here: https://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/for...ce-manual.html

Looks like with the choke open in the run position you should be able to see the throttle plates at the back and turn the lever on them to make sure they are both closing.

Last edited by Mark / Ohio; Yesterday at 11:47 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Garage
(Click to enlarge image. )2BCarbBriggs.jpg

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 07:15 PM

Sounds like the governor to me.
Might try adjusting it first to rule out it being out of adjustment. Before diving into it.
Plenty of YouTube videos and manuals to find out how.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page