JD STX38 won’t start - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
Small Engine Repair Discussion Talk about issues or tips you may have for others regarding small engine repairs.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tom Mullins

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

JD STX38 won’t start

I recently bought a John Deere STX38 black deck with a Kohler Command CV125S. The guy said it ran fine for the past three years he’s had it, but wouldn’t start this season. After about ten seconds of cranking with the choke on, the mower will briefly fire, but die within 2-3 seconds. I have replaced all fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel shut off valve, cleaned the tank and fuel cap vent, and and ignition module. I cleaned the carb, but have not rebuilt it. I tried resetting the carb adjustments, but it didn’t help anything. Other than this issue, the mower is in excellent condition. Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 01:40 PM

first i recommend you replace the fuel line from tank to carb, if they ever used ethanol gas it could be swollen shut on the insides but if the mower is over 5 years old is a good idea to replace it no matter what as they dry out after 5 yrs

after that buy a new carb for it on ebay, they are only like $15, bolt it on and you are good to go

You can only learn if you ask the question, so there are no dumb questions.
The Following User Says Thank You to keakar For This Useful Post:
Ericjr16 (07-10-2019)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

I’ve already replaced everything from the fuel tank up to the carb. I know I’m getting spark, as it will fire with starting fluid. I guess I’ll get a new carb, and see what that does.
keakar likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 05:37 PM

ya those carbs can be a PITA to get cleaned and a new carb is only like $5 more then buying a rebuild kit for them

buy a new one, bolt it on, and then you can relax and go drink a beer

i think this one fits yours https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-...MAAOSw89lcoct0

You can only learn if you ask the question, so there are no dumb questions.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:23 PM

It's possible you do not have a fuel problem...You may have an engine that had a sudden "stop" and now has a slightly off time ignition with a partially sheered flywheel key...You may want to do a check..remove shroud, and flywheel nut..carefully inspect the key...If in doubt...put in a new one...and fully tighten the flywheel...Only other reason I can think of, is your choke butterfly is not fully closing...but based on the work you already did, I'm sure you checked that...Good Luck..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page