My Lawnmower Forum banner

Can't seem to get crankcase cover back on

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  skagentk 
#1 ·
Working on a Yard Man mower: 12A-44MC055 with PowerMore 173cc engine: 6CZHS.1731FV (rumored to be a generic engine from China).

When I got the mower, it had a massive oil leak. Popped the crankcase cover off and discovered a torn crankcase cover gasket, which rather clearly was the problem.

Can't seem to be able to buy a new gasket (my preference), but absent a new gasket would try gasket maker.

Problem #1: in taking off the crankcase cover, what appears to be part of the governor or the oil splash (white piece of plastic) popped loose. I got it back in place (took me a long time), but it seems there must be instructions for taking off the crankcase cover as it can't be what I did: remove bolts, remove cover, put white plastic piece back.

Problem #2: Getting the crankcase cover back on is turning into a bit of a nightmare. Simply straight dropping the crankcase cover on the crankcase has complexities in the governor/oil splash area that defy hours of staring and wondering. A part from the cover (white plastic piece that fell off earlier) hits a part from the crankcase (the governor arm).

Can't figure this out. I know someone put the engine together, so while it might be complicated or confusing, it has to be possible. I tried every possibility I can imagine, and nothing works. At this point, I need instructions on replacing the crankcase cover. Hoping someone has some insight on this.

See less See more
#2 ·
Had a quick conversation with the MTD help line (wasn't available over the weekend), got to technical support. Downloaded the proper manual. I had incorrectly installed (from guessing poorly) the governor cup inside the crankcase.

With a properly installed governor cup, should be no problem getting the crankcase cover back on.

I had no idea the "chat advocate" at the MTD web site would (or even could) be that helpful.

#3 ·
Had a quick conversation with the MTD help line (wasn't available over the weekend), got to technical support. Downloaded the proper manual. I had incorrectly installed (from guessing poorly) the governor cup inside the crankcase.

With a properly installed governor cup, should be no problem getting the crankcase cover back on.

I had no idea the "chat advocate" at the MTD web site would (or even could) be that helpful.
This is good news ...for both you and others, as we learn that MTD can be helpful to the owners...doing their own repairs...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.