An Expensive Throwaway - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 6Likes
  • 6 Post By Austen

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,052 Posts
An Expensive Throwaway

A couple weeks ago, a coworker said he picked up a Honda lawnmower with a free sign on it from the side of the road but he couldn't get it running right... Austen, do you want it? Hmmm, It's not often you find a free Honda anywhere so it must be pretty beaten down and neglected, but sure, I'll take a look I thought as I do like these mowers.

When I went out to see just what it was, I wasn't expecting to find a lightly used, stored in doors type, HRX 217 with original manual and paperwork included! Even the wheels looked like they hardly had any use. Holy cow! Yes, I'll take it.

I gave it a quick fire up and it had a really bad case of the surges, almost embarrassing to run for any length of time. Should be a simple fix.

Okay, the usual, I ripped the carb off expecting to find a bowl that had never been drained and to my surprise, the bowl was as clean as the rest of the mower. Okay, well, most likely it has some gunk hidden elsewhere so I gave it a cleaning as best I could and reassembled. Guess what, it ran no different, surged liked crazy just as before. This mower has the auto choke feature so I researched the operation and tested the thermowax actuator but found that it worked correctly. Alright, this mower is completely worth it and carbs for these are cheap so I purchased a brand new one and a tune up kit with intake gaskets, etc, etc. Installed the new carb and.... rum, rum, RUM!! That surging was no different that before. Grrrr.

Alright, so I've got two carbs now, time a for a little experimenting or..... tuning? The single adjustment screw had a limiter cap on it so I pried it off and took my Dremel tool to file a groove on the outside end for a flathead screw driver to turn. I played around with the adjustment of that to no avail, top to bottom, the mower still ran exactly the same no matter the position. I felt this was a lean running condition, they send these out from the factory to meet X, Y, Z, emission standard, expected to run on fumes. Again I thought, I've got two carbs here, not much to lose, so let's experiment around with one a little more. With success in the past of drilling out carb jets ever so slightly to cure a lean surge or an idle hang, I tried this in the jet of one of the carbs and, nope, no success there either.

So this was really getting irritating. I researched the cause some more for this particular model since checking off all the usual boxes to eliminate a running symptom like this wasn't solving the problem.

Someone I had found online who had the exact same model pointed out that his governor spring however was under-sprung and no longer had tension anymore. He said that he trimmed it and that cured the surging issue. One thing I did notice and probably should've considered more was that the surge would go away when the engine had a load and I engaged the blades. I noticed the spring on mine was loose as well, so in normal fashion of not having much to lose at this point, I clipped the curl off one end, made a new one and reattached. Now the spring has tension and wasn't just laying flat. Fired up on first pull (one nice thing about the auto choke is that this thing does start on first try every time), and VOILA, just like that, the surging was completely gone! It sounds like a new machine!! Woohooo!!!

Gave the mower a polish and wax, lubed up the cables, pulled the wheels off, and didn't even need to sharpen the blades.

"We donít look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever." - 2 Corinthians 4:18 1958 Eclipse 32" Speedway l Restored Eclipse Sulky l 1947 Jacobsen 26" Lawn King Jacobsen 36-A Sulky Restored 1949 Jacobsen 20" Lawn Queen l Honda HRB215 l 1977 Economy Tractor l 1971 Bolens 1886-01
The Following User Says Thank You to Austen For This Useful Post:
wh55 (10-19-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 01:58 PM

Thanked 1,090 Times in 811 Posts
Wow! How great is that!? It’s almost as good as winning the lottery!
The Following User Says Thank You to bwdbrn1 For This Useful Post:
Austen (10-18-2020)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 12:39 AM
Administrator

Garage
Agree with BW, that is next thing like a new mower yet!

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

The Following User Says Thank You to Mark / Ohio For This Useful Post:
Austen (10-18-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,052 Posts
Thanks, guys. Not sure how deserving I am to be handed a free Honda in good condition so I may give it away to somebody in the future who could use a good lawnmower.

"We donít look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever." - 2 Corinthians 4:18 1958 Eclipse 32" Speedway l Restored Eclipse Sulky l 1947 Jacobsen 26" Lawn King Jacobsen 36-A Sulky Restored 1949 Jacobsen 20" Lawn Queen l Honda HRB215 l 1977 Economy Tractor l 1971 Bolens 1886-01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page