Honda 215 SXA starting problem - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bertsmobile

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2020, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Question Honda 215 SXA starting problem

I am the owner of a HR 215 HF with hydrostatic transmission which I purchased in 1998 new. This past spring I saw an ad for HR 215 AF (6065299 SXA) for $40.00. Deck and engine in excellent shape. Some rust on the handle bars. It had no oil when purchased and wouldn't start. I bought it anyway and figured I would not be out much. The lower oil seal leaked oil as quickly as it was poured in. I replaced the oil seal, spark plug, removed carburetor and cleaned the jets. Also removed and cleaned pilot jet. Cleaned coil, adjusted the cables. I like the design of the SX; it has a much larger air filter, otherwise same engine. Here's my problem--it won't start unless I spray starter fluid in the carb. I have pulled the starter rope a number of times. After a spray of starter fluid starts 1st pull. I have watched a number of you-tube videos trying to find a similar problem. After initial start it runs well. Smoked a little after initial start this spring; doesn't smoke any longer. Any insight would be appreciated. I don't need 2 lawnmowers, I thought I would sell it at first after fixing it up. Both mowers are old but feel like collectors items now. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Thank, Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 01:20 AM

Usually it is just the choke not fully closing, adjusted by repositioning the control wire.
Joe Kuhn likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to bertsmobile For This Useful Post:
suspicionofignorance (08-25-2020)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page