Honda mower stalls under load - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Honda mower stalls under load

I have an old Honda Harmony hrm215 lawn mower. I've been using it for the past ten years or so. It's always worked ok but struggled with the grass if it was too long or too wet which is to be expected I guess. This summer it's been struggling more than I remember it used to. I took the carb off on the weekend and cleaned it up. The outside was pretty dirty but the inside was very clean. It starts up super easy now, it would usually take 2-3 pulls to get it to start. The throttle cable won't stay in place so the choke doesn't fully close, if it would stay in place it would start first pull still. But now, even if the choke isn't fully closed it starts effortlessly on the first pull. I cut my grass yesterday and it wasn't overly long and it was bone dry. Under those conditions the lawn mower shouldn't have had any trouble at all but it stalled a few times while cutting some of the taller grass. When I say taller grass it was not tall enough that there should have been trouble.
My logic tells me that the carb needs adjusting or maybe the lawn mower has just ran its course as I think it's at least 20 years old. I don't know how long a typical lawn mower is expected to last. I have always done yearly oil changes and taken good care of it.
Does this sound like something that can be fixed by adjusting the carb? If so any tips on how to do that?
Or does this sound like it might be something else entirely?

Thanks to anyone who helps out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 02:37 PM

Welcome to MLF Jumbo. Did you remove and disassemble the carb when you cleaned it? There are numerous small holes inside the carb that HAVE to be clean for the engine to run correctly.
I'm sure it is a carb problem and cleaning will solve your low power condition. Worse case scenario, look up your engine number and order a replacement carb on-line. Maybe $15-$20 for an after market replacement.
I use Stabil and Seafoam in my gas cans to help eliminate/reduce dirty carbs. You could add some Seafoam to your gas tank and it MAY clean the dirt out of the passages while the engine is running.

Service movies - Honda Engines

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 05:37 PM

Thanked 1,086 Times in 807 Posts
There are excellent videos explaining the process of cleaning those carbs. Also when the carb is removed from the engine the gaskets should be replaced to insure no air leaks.

Last edited by bwdbrn1; 05-27-2020 at 05:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

I took the carb apart and sprayed a whole lot of carb cleaner everywhere. To be honest it was very clean inside there even before I did anything. It didn't look any ckeaner when I was done vs when I started. I still pushed a small pin through all of the holes in there. After I cut the grass and it still struggled I looked up a video to see if I missed anything but I cleaned everything they did in the videos. Do you still think seafoam would be worth trying?
I did not replace the gaskets. They seemed to be in good shape though. Would a bad seal cause a loss of power like I'm experiencing? I'm inclined to think it's not getting enough fuel and that maybe a carb adjustment is needed. It fires up real nice and runs smoothly so I'm a little hesitant to start adjusting the carb for fear it won't be the same. When I was young, following some printed instructions, I adjusted the carb on my dads snow blower and it never ran quite right after that so I'm always hesitant with carb adjustments now. Mind you that was a long time ago before the internet
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 04:58 PM

If the seals aren’t complete and tight, air can slip past throwing off the mixture. Those gaskets are inexpensive and easy to replace.

Take a look at this sheet by Honda to trouble shoot your issue.
http://www.honda-engines-eu.com/docu...0-d1e8cd215253

And this movie from Honda about cleaning carbs in GX series engines.

http://www.honda-engines-eu.com/en/s...e_movieIndex=9
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 07:01 PM

Garage
Welcome from Gettysburg

Perpetual Optimism is a force multiplier!!
John Deere D-140
Toro 22" GTS, 6.5 hp SP Personal Pace
97 Lawn Boy 10200, 6.0 hp
Troy Bilt 21" TB230 4 .5 hp, SP
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

The carburetor in the video is different than mine but there are one, potentially two spots I may be able to clean that I never did. I'll try and take a look over the weekend
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 06:03 PM

Hmmm....every GXV carb I’ve done is like the one in the link I gave you.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,345 Times in 1,050 Posts
If you haven't already done it, I'd pop the gas tank off and flush it out real good and let it dry. You'd be surprised what is in your gas cans that makes its way into the tanks sometimes. There could be some crud in the tank that's getting in the carb; there's not an inline filter that will catch debris. You've probably already determined that it was OK, but the float bowls on these can oxidize and begin flaking inside and that stuff will pull right up into the carb. I've replaced numerous ones over the years on my Honda mowers and I even drain the gas each winter; wish they made the bowls with a better/stronger coating. It's worth it to replace the bowl if there's any doubt that it could be flaking as they're a cheap and even after cleaning out the crusty oxidation to a smooth finish, it's just going to do it again after some time if the coating has come off. It sounds like you've already cleaned the carb, pulled the jet and sprayed carb cleaner through it.

You'll get it!

"We donít look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever." - 2 Corinthians 4:18 1958 Eclipse 32" Speedway l Restored Eclipse Sulky l 1947 Jacobsen 26" Lawn King Jacobsen 36-A Sulky Restored 1949 Jacobsen 20" Lawn Queen l Honda HRB215 l 1977 Economy Tractor l 1971 Bolens 1886-01

Last edited by Austen; 05-30-2020 at 12:41 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help everyone, it appears as though my problems are gone. I cut the grass yesterday and not one single stall and the grass was kind of long.
I was going to pull the carb off again to clean those potentially new spots I may have missed but I didn't have time so I just cut the grass as it was and no issues.
Hopefully it wasn't a fluke and it continues to work well. I guess I'll see what happens next time I cut the grass
Austen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page