Clutch Actuator Swivels Around the Handle (Honda HRR216K10VKAA) - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By WhidbeyTomas

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Clutch Actuator Swivels Around the Handle (Honda HRR216K10VKAA)

I know..nice trick. This past week, I found that the drive stopped responding to the actuator. a .4 acre lawn with a slope is a hard row to hoe. Desperate for an easy quick solution, I took the actuator apart. Or started to. Then I panicked because there was no quick access to the cable. I pushed the mower through the lawn, this isn't a long-term solution.

This week, I watched the RepairClick video on clutch cable replacement. I took the cover off underneath, and found the cable break at the attachment to the transmission arm. I purchased the parts and installed the new cable. Unfortunately, after assembly, the actuator still swivels and the cable doesn't pull the belt tight. The RepairClick video helpfully recommends that, after assembly, you check to be sure that the belt is tensioned. Sadly, it doesn't say what to do if it doesn't tension. I've taken the actuator apart and reassembled it three times and was seriously frustrated at the lack of result. What's hard is that I can't see what is happening inside.

I can't see a reason for the swiveling. In taking the actuator apart, I was concerned to ensure that the pin sat properly in the groves. I didn't check to be sure the cable didn't come free of the actuator (the black plastic piece it fits into), but I don't see how it could have come free. Any ideas about what is going on with this? What keeps the actuator in from swiveling?

I didn't zip tie the cable to the handle, does that matter (definitely grasping at straws)? Anyone with familiarity with this actuator assembly?

Last edited by WhidbeyTomas; 03-27-2020 at 03:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

OK, don't try to understand my situation. Just let me know if you have any precise information on how to assemble the actuator (that part at the top of the handle that controls the drive wheels).
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

This reminds me of the old days with a CB radio. Lots of chatter, but I could never get anyone to respond.

It seems to me that the actuator might require that the opening for the pin be positioned left or right of center. The pin could displace from the grooves in the difficult task of bringing those two plastic grooved halves together (you have to make the two parts come together by squeezing them), and who knows what happens to groove and pin positioning during that process. There has to be a simple solution, but yes, it may be reserved for those in the know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 02:07 AM
Administrator

Garage
I found an owners manual. I'm not at all familiar with these as I never owned one but maybe pages 13-14 show how to do the adjustment you need? (See attached manual)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HRR216 VKA 00X31VL0N030.pdf (3.57 MB, 3 views)

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Clutch Cable replacement on the Honda HRR216k10aa

Unfortunately, the manual does not delve within the Actuator (see images below). The problem isn't solved by tightening the cable. See images below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CableConnectionAtTransmission.jpg (861.3 KB, 3 views)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

If you want to see a video of the clutch cable replacement, see this one on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PinAndMiddleWithGrove.jpg (81.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg MiddleHalvesApart.jpg (122.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg HorzBarWithClutchCableEyelet.jpg (58.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg TheActuator.jpg (88.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg InnerHalvesInPlace.jpg (78.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg MiddleHalvesInPlace.jpg (390.9 KB, 1 views)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 02:00 AM
Administrator

Garage
When you snap the two black plastic halves back together with the pin in the grooves inside, before putting the light grey paddle part back on, does the cable move the transmission if your turn the black plastic part? If the pin is in the grooves on the black plastic part that would keep it from swiveling clear around. Make sure the plastic snaps are all holding on the plastic halves so it cannot separate as it turns and release the pin from the groove.

Wondering if the problem is the grey paddle part not gripping the inner black plastic?

Gotta be something simple we are missing.

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

I don't think it is the grey paddle (outer most part) gripping. The lever fits into a notch and I can tell it is engaging. I'm punting to my local repair man. I'm hoping he can tell me what I did wrong. If he feels so generous, I'll share what I hear.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 05:59 PM

Did you try taking slack out of the cable with the barrel adjuster located in the cable just above where it enters the deck? Page13-14 of the owners manual..

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Last edited by Grunt; 04-01-2020 at 06:08 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2020, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

People, please forgive me for leaving you stranded with no follow-up. As reported above, I had to punt to my local repair man. So it has been awhile. I always return to a forum with lessons learned (when there is learning), so here I am. In this case, it is an ongoing saga - still no confirmed solution.

My lawnmower repair professional has had my mower for more than a month. After ordering the part with the groove, and finding no change in the result, he took to ordering several other parts, including the pin holding the cable and the cable. After all those new parts, the original problem remains. When pressing on the lever to engage the transmission, the pin that pulls the cable tight and engages the drive pulley slips out of the groove when it reaches the end. My repairman reports he is finding the same situation with another Honda he got in after mine. This suggests the problem is a too long cable. I think an over long cable might explain it. Tightening the cable didn't fix the problem - or we simply don't know how to tighten the cable sufficiently (Grunt mentioned a barrel at the deck - the one I'm familiar with is up on the handle - did that). The cable I attempted to install, and the one he ordered both came through the same source. If it isn't an OEM source, it could be too long, and that would explain the result.

I will report back as I learn more.
Mark / Ohio and Grunt like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page