Honda HRC216HXA, coil or?... - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By golfergordy
  • 1 Post By golfergordy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Honda HRC216HXA, coil or?...

So I have a pair of Honda HRC216HXA. One 'for parts', the other better then 'for parts'.

They are such heavily built mowers I figure it's worth trying to get one going in the event I actually have grass (see https://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/for...otherwise.html)

I spun the good one with the plug out, grounded to the block and it had good spark. I squirted some gas in the cylinder, put the plug back in and pulled. It started and ran for a bit so I'm off to the carburetor. The carb had been replaced w/ the wrong one (I am not the first to work on this), so I got an Ebay carb and put it on. A little hard starting but with persistence it ran good and strong.

Ran for a time (3-5 min) that is, then died. let it sit, tried again, ran, stopped. repeat.

Then it died and wouldn't start again.

Of course that's not all the story, in between these short runs I've been working on the clutch section. When it ran it had a nasty bearing howl so I figured I'd get the clutch bearing and break bearing off to make sure they aren't fried (they are). To work on it I lean it on it's side (oil dipstick up).

At this point I have the blade, drive clutch and break disc off so there's just a shaft sticking out the bottom. The recoil starter is off, so I'm spinning it w a drill. I remove the plug, remove the kill wire, ground the plug to the case (all just like before) and NO SPARK.

I tried a new spark plug, NO SPARK. (I read that marginal plugs can stop sparking when they heat up)

I swapped the coil from the 'parts mower', NO SPARK.

I've read that's it's rare for Honda coils to go bad, but I have two bad coils?!?! (granted they are no where near new)

At this point, what I'm testing is a coil (cleaned mounting points) on an engine connected to a new spark plug, spinning a (cleaned) flywheel with a magnet that attracts metal. Seriously, what else do you need to induce an electrical flow, a magnetic field passing through a coil. But still NO SPARK.

I ordered an Ebay coil, what could be the harm? But I'd like someone to tell me I'm not crazy.
That yes, if you have a good coil, gapped right, and you spin a magnet past it you will get spark.

What else could it be?

Thanks in advance.

John
Keaau, HI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 02:36 PM

Make sure the coil gap to the flywheel is very tiny. On my HR214, I tried using the traditional "business card" gap, but it was too much. I pushed the coil right against the flywheel and then hand-rotated the flywheel until the parts mated, and then it worked perfectly.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,226 Times in 1,132 Posts
Ditto that. Sometimes these engines are very finicky about spark gap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for these suggestions. I meant to check it out this week end but didn't have a chance. Maybe I'll try resetting the gap (.005" perhaps?) This week and see what I get.

Thanks again!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 08:00 PM

The spark plug wire or cap could be bad. Here's what the shop manual shows about checking these items(see attachment).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg SHOP MAN.P60-HRC215K1&216K1.jpeg (821.4 KB, 3 views)
johng650 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to golfergordy For This Useful Post:
johng650 (08-26-2019)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 08:14 PM

Also, check the engine stop switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg SHOP MAN. P24-HRC215K1&216K1.jpeg (830.5 KB, 2 views)
johng650 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to golfergordy For This Useful Post:
johng650 (08-26-2019)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Problem solved.

But first a story...

Today it stopped raining for a while so I took my tools to my mower storage area prepared to gap and test. I set the coil gap to a very tight 0.005 inches and with the spark plug out and grounded, spun the flywheel with my drill and again. No spark.

Nerts, I changed to the second coil from the parts mower and gave it a spin, same thing. No spark.

Ok, no spark. But I have a replacement coil on order and it should be here in a week, so I might as well work on something else.

I had gapped the valves to 0.004 inches, which is what I had done for my 17 HP Briggs motor and had later read that that's way to tight. I had actually noticed a little bit of back pressure at the intake manifold so figured I had the valves too tight.

Plug out, valve cover off. Set intake to 0.006 inches and exhaust to 0.008 inches. Put the plug back in and spin the motor with the drill, check for back pressure at the intake. Whoa, a lot of back pressure! Spin the motor and check the exhaust, WTF? The exhaust is sucking!

Have you figured it out yet? I was spinning the motor backward!

Pull the plug, ground it, spin the motor the other way, and as they say in Hawaii, "Ho brah, get choke spark!"

In my defense, I have a pretty mechanical mind. I didn't bother to check which way the recoil starter spun the motor, I just looked at the fan an said "self, if I designed that fan, it would need to spin counter-clock-wise".

I put the plug back in, hooked up the kill circuit, tank back on, starter back on and put some gas in the tank.

Pull, start.

Thanks to everyone who helped with information. I really appreciate it and it was helpful, though not with the actual problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page