Picked up another project for a whole 20 bucks HR215 SXA - Page 2 - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
N84434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 191
Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfergordy View Post
I just bought a used HR215K1 Masters and it looks just like yours. My ser. # is MZAM 6254735 so it's a bit newer than yours. I have the owner's manual for mine, which is dated 1996, so I would think that yours isn't older than 1995.

I now have 3-HR215 SXA's and the wheels wobble on all of them, which I think is normal. I also have an HR214 SXA which I bought in 1985 and the wheels on this one wobbled for as long as I can remember (probably starting in 1985). I would NOT change the wheel bearings if I were you, unless they cause a problem when mowing.
Hmm... Good to know. Thanks Gordy. The bearing in the left rear adjuster is seized, so I'm looking at replacing that one for sure, but perhaps I'll skip the fronts...


Thanks again!


Jim

2 Cycle Power Products Fanatic
N84434 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
N84434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 191
Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Well, I got the transmission out of the mower last night. Interesting method of connecting the drive shaft to the transmission..
Today I'll split the case on the trans and start looking for a new Final Shaft. I really don't feel like dropping $100.00 on a new part from Honda, but I have yet to find a clean used shaft. The rear wheels are cracked and falling apart around the center bore, so I'll be looking for replacements.


Other than the shaft and wheels, it's actually in pretty good condition overall. I didn't find any damage to the deck, and after cleaning all the crud off it, it came out looking darn good.

2 Cycle Power Products Fanatic
N84434 is offline  
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
N84434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 191
Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I ordered parts last night to get the Honda back up and running. Boats.net was the best price on almost everything (seals, O-ring, roller pins) and I ordered the Final Shaft and Bearings through PartsPak.com.

Still more money than I wanted to spend, but it'll be done right.

2 Cycle Power Products Fanatic
N84434 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 03:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Snapperfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 234
Thanks: 4
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
On the subject of the wheels, I have an HR194SX and a slightly newer HR215HX, both I bought used within the last year or so. The 194's wheels look original and have no wobble, the 215's fronts were a bit wobbly and one rear had a big crack so I just replaced them all but wow Honda wheels aren't cheap.
Snapperfreak is offline  
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
N84434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 191
Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapperfreak View Post
I just replaced them all but wow Honda wheels aren't cheap.

Man, you ain't kiddin! I can't justify $60-$80 plus shipping for all new wheels, so I'm going to attempt to route out the damaged area and use a bushing on the rear wheels instead. The front wheels are good enough for this mower...

2 Cycle Power Products Fanatic
N84434 is offline  
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 02:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suburb NW of Chicago
Posts: 85
Thanks: 5
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
N84434 - After you route out and bush the damaged wheel, please post a pic of it. Maybe you should start a new thread showing how you do this - I'm sure there would be many interested readers.

It pays to obtain a parts mower of the model you are fixing up for some quick (and cheap) necessary repairs that will probably come along in the future with these 20+ yr-old mowers. I've got an HR214 (bought it new in 1985) and 2-yrs ago for $5 I bought someone else's project HR214 which was all taken apart - the only problem was that the seller had 3-boxes of parts but could only locate 2 of the boxes (but the engine, trans, handlebars, wheels, carb & deck were there). I've already scavenged a few parts from this source. I also bought an HR215 last year (in pretty decent running shape) for $40, but there was no bag. Last Fall, I also then bought a $20 project HR215 w/a bad trans (but it included the bag that I needed), and from this source I've already scavenged parts for use on my other HR215 and the HR215 Masters I bought this Spring.
golfergordy is offline  
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
N84434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 191
Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfergordy View Post
N84434 - After you route out and bush the damaged wheel, please post a pic of it. Maybe you should start a new thread showing how you do this - I'm sure there would be many interested readers.

It pays to obtain a parts mower of the model you are fixing up for some quick (and cheap) necessary repairs that will probably come along in the future with these 20+ yr-old mowers. I've got an HR214 (bought it new in 1985) and 2-yrs ago for $5 I bought someone else's project HR214 which was all taken apart - the only problem was that the seller had 3-boxes of parts but could only locate 2 of the boxes (but the engine, trans, handlebars, wheels, carb & deck were there). I've already scavenged a few parts from this source. I also bought an HR215 last year (in pretty decent running shape) for $40, but there was no bag. Last Fall, I also then bought a $20 project HR215 w/a bad trans (but it included the bag that I needed), and from this source I've already scavenged parts for use on my other HR215 and the HR215 Masters I bought this Spring.

Hi Gordy;
I'll absolutely document whatever I do to repair these wheels. I don't think I'll be purchasing a second HR as this is just a flip. I'm not planning on keeping it (so I say today...)

2 Cycle Power Products Fanatic
N84434 is offline  
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
N84434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 191
Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Well, I got all my replacement parts yesterday. So far I've spent about 130 dollars on this machine, mostly with the cost of the Final Shaft ($83.00). Perhaps I would have been wiser to part it out or look for a complete used transmission to purchase. Oh well.... It'll be a neat learning experience rebuilding a Honda transmission.


I do need to figure out what gear lube to use when I put it back together.

2 Cycle Power Products Fanatic
N84434 is offline  
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 02:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suburb NW of Chicago
Posts: 85
Thanks: 5
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I read someone's comment on the Lawn Mower Forum a few months ago that the correct transmission oil is SAE 90 hypoid gear oil (.21 qt). I made a note of that in my HR215 Masters records in case I ever pulled my trans apart. I can't remember the exact source of that info, however - if it was Robert then it's good.
golfergordy is offline  
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
N84434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 191
Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfergordy View Post
I read someone's comment on the Lawn Mower Forum a few months ago that the correct transmission oil is SAE 90 hypoid gear oil (.21 qt). I made a note of that in my HR215 Masters records in case I ever pulled my trans apart. I can't remember the exact source of that info, however - if it was Robert then it's good.

thanks for the info Gordy!

2 Cycle Power Products Fanatic
N84434 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome