Cracks in Honda HR215 Plastic Wheels - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 9Likes
  • 1 Post By wh55
  • 3 Post By golfergordy
  • 1 Post By wh55
  • 3 Post By golfergordy
  • 1 Post By golfergordy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Cracks in Honda HR215 Plastic Wheels

I have a (new to me) Honda HR215 MASTERS self prop. mower which I'm cleaning up. I have noticed cracks in both of the plastic rear wheels (see pic). I have seen a few other plastic wheels from the Honda HR214/215 series which have similar cracks, but they don't seem to cause any operational problems. I'm wondering if anyone has had a wheel failure on a Honda mower which started out as a small crack. I'm also wondering if anyone has performed a repair (and what was that repair) to prevent the cracks from getting worse. The cracks in the pic run all the way from the outside to the inside of the wheel.

I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0135.jpg (292.9 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 04:03 AM

epoxy glue or JB weld just might do it, would have to be worked down between the crack or you could put bushings in there, might not be easy to do that if your not set up to do it and finally, easiest of all replace the wheels...myself I would just try to glue them , run them as long as you can then replace
Austen likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,047 Posts
I was thinking JB Weld too. Member @[email protected] may have some more info on this issue.

"We don’t look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever." - 2 Corinthians 4:18 1958 Eclipse 32" Speedway l Restored Eclipse Sulky l 1947 Jacobsen 26" Lawn King Jacobsen 36-A Sulky Restored 1949 Jacobsen 20" Lawn Queen l Honda HRB215 l 1977 Economy Tractor l 1971 Bolens 1886-01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:43 PM

Is there a ridge on the hub that a person could wrap a piece of wire around and twist tight? It looks like it does from the photo image, Glue first,
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll try glue or JB Weld.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

The pic shows how I repaired wheel cracks on my HR215's plastic rear wheel. I used a 3/16" thick piece that I sawed off of a 3/4" Sched. 40 plastic pipe coupling and glued it to the wheel hub. The pic shows that I filled epoxy into the gap between the OD of the hub and the ID of the coupling piece. I'll probably know in a few years if this fix worked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Epoxy wheel fix 1.JPG (1.24 MB, 8 views)
Mark / Ohio, keakar and scocope like this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfergordy View Post
The pic shows how I repaired wheel cracks on my HR215's plastic rear wheel. I used a 3/16" thick piece that I sawed off of a 3/4" Sched. 40 plastic pipe coupling and glued it to the wheel hub. The pic shows that I filled epoxy into the gap between the OD of the hub and the ID of the coupling piece. I'll probably know in a few years if this fix worked.
from what I see it does look like a good fix, time will tell . with the price of a lot of mower wheels , anything is worth trying to get more life from a wheel
keakar likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 10:41 AM

Remember, good epoxy repairs need clean surfaces, abrasion with coarse sandpaper to provide "Tooth" for the epoxy to grip (if using air tools, don't "smear" it which means it overheated and will have become brittle) and slow-cure epoxy like JB Weld is best. Backing, if possible is used as that pipe is being used for (reinforcement via multi-layers of fiberglass drywall tape works great for irregular surfaces by-the-way) Cracks usually are beveled but in this case that probably is not needed.

Last edited by scocope; 09-09-2017 at 10:48 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I thoroughly cleaned and roughed up the surfaces prior to applying epoxy. The cracks went far into the wheel cavity, between the wheel spokes, behind where my pipe coupling repair shows in the pic, and I epoxy'd the surface of those cracks (2-layers) there as well. Where I couldn't use sandpaper, I did use a very small dia. head on my Dremel high speed rotary grinder but kept it at low speed to avoid "smearing" the surface. These plastic rear wheel cracks are very common on the old HR series Honda mowers which is probably why replacements are still available. The pic here shows a slightly different angle of a similar repair I made on another wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Epoxy wheel fix 2.JPG (1.65 MB, 5 views)
Mark / Ohio, wh55 and scocope like this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

As an update to this thread - I have gone one step further with using PVC pipe to strengthen the wheel hub where cracks are present. I have recently noticed that these cracks which I repaired 2-yrs ago on the outside of the wheel also propagate to the inside face of the wheel facing the mower deck, so I did the same type of repair on the inside face of the wheel hub (as I did on the outside of the wheel hub) but this time glued on a thin sawed off piece of 2” schedule 40 PVC pipe coupling. The inner diameter of this coupling, however, had to be ground down approx. 1/64” to snugly fit onto the wheel hub. I used my high speed Dremel rotary tool to do this grinding. Also, be careful not to use a piece of the 2” pipe coupling wider than about 3/16” so it won't rub against the wheel adjuster arm after it's glued on and the wheel is installed back on to the mower. If it does rub, just grind off a bit of the outer edge of the PVC until there's a small clearance to the arm. Also, this time when I installed this PVC reinforcement I used PVC cement to glue it on instead of the epoxy gluing method discussed earlier in this thread. The epoxy glued PVC on the outside of the wheel from about 2-yrs ago still appeared to be holding up just fine, but time will tell if either the epoxy or the PVC cement method eventually fails or not. Naturally, thorough cleaning and sanding should be done prior to applying any type of adhesive. See the 1st pic showing the PVC wheel reinforcement on the inside of the wheel, and the 2nd pic shows the very small clearance to the adjuster arm. Hopefully this reinforcement will extend the life of the wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1226 (1).jpg (2.27 MB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1230.jpg (403.0 KB, 0 views)
Grunt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page