HRX217 timing belt issues - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

HRX217 timing belt issues

I have been using hrx lawn mowers for most of 10 years now, no serious issues, normal maintenance. I run them to 6-700 hours and sell them and replace. Last fall when preparing my mower for storage, oil change and cleanup, I hit an issue. After finishing up I decided to stat the engine one last time. Engine started for maybe 2 seconds then I could not restart. Checked everything I could think of and found nothing. So I take it to the dealer. Im told the timing belt needs to be replaced.... at a cost of +$350. estimated. Wow this engine has only 140 hours on it. (I put hour meters on all my gear) This is virtually a new mower. I have yet to get the mower back so Im not sure of the exact cost of this repair. Is anyone else having trouble with honda timing belts? I really like honda mowers on my 6th HRX but this may move me to change over to another brand.

Prime Care lawn & yard
honda hrx217 x 2
Toro 22156
Toro Titan ZX 5420
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Apparently timing belt is not a common problem...

Prime Care lawn & yard
honda hrx217 x 2
Toro 22156
Toro Titan ZX 5420
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 01:55 AM
Administrator

Garage
My boss had to have a timing belt put on his Honda mower couple years ago but it had more hours then that on it I think.

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 04:17 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,345 Times in 1,050 Posts
I will let @[email protected] chime in on this but it's definitely not a common problem. As I understand, these belts are pretty much made to run the life of the machine.

"We donít look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever." - 2 Corinthians 4:18 1958 Eclipse 32" Speedway l Restored Eclipse Sulky l 1947 Jacobsen 26" Lawn King Jacobsen 36-A Sulky Restored 1949 Jacobsen 20" Lawn Queen l Honda HRB215 l 1977 Economy Tractor l 1971 Bolens 1886-01
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
I have been using hrx lawn mowers for most of 10 years now, no serious issues, normal maintenance. I run them to 6-700 hours and sell them and replace. Last fall when preparing my mower for storage, oil change and cleanup, I hit an issue. After finishing up I decided to stat the engine one last time. Engine started for maybe 2 seconds then I could not restart. Checked everything I could think of and found nothing. So I take it to the dealer. Im told the timing belt needs to be replaced.... at a cost of +$350. estimated. Wow this engine has only 140 hours on it. (I put hour meters on all my gear) This is virtually a new mower. I have yet to get the mower back so Im not sure of the exact cost of this repair. Is anyone else having trouble with honda timing belts? I really like honda mowers on my 6th HRX but this may move me to change over to another brand.
A timing belt failure on a GCV engine is quite rare. Usually, the engine will wear out (piston rings, etc.) well before a belt will fail.

Might want to get a second opinion on this...$350 seems very steep to R&R a belt. You could probably find a entire new engine for that.

- - -
[email protected]
Social Media Consigliere
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
A timing belt failure on a GCV engine is quite rare. Usually, the engine will wear out (piston rings, etc.) well before a belt will fail.

Might want to get a second opinion on this...$350 seems very steep to R&R a belt. You could probably find a entire new engine for that.
Thanks Robert. Yes its pretty steep repair. New mower run us $1150. here in Canada. Madness. At least its not something that happens a lot. I really lke the HRX mowers. Overall really low cost to maintain and work great for me. I have not heard from the dealer yet, left mower there in Nov. Have to call them soon. I dont think the belt broke, it simply rolled off the cam. I saw a video on you tube with a similar situation. The belt was able to be put back on and the time set without splitting the machine. I may try that route if they havent touched it yet.

Prime Care lawn & yard
honda hrx217 x 2
Toro 22156
Toro Titan ZX 5420
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page