Briggs replacement for walk-behind WITH THROTTLE - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
Lawn Mower Main Forum This is the main MyLawnMower Forum discussion forum. Here you can discuss the latest lawnmowers, and other lawn care machinery.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By bertsmobile

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2021, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Question Briggs replacement for walk-behind WITH THROTTLE

I'm looking to replace a 12 CID briggs engine (12F802 type 0833-01--25mm X 3-5/8 shaft drilled and taped 3/8-20 with 1/4" keyway, currently mounted on an old JD 14PZ) and nothing I can find that size (12-or-so CID) has a throttle control. They're all fixed speed!

I can't even find a list of specs for their current lineup of vertical replacement engines! I can find one from 2015 and 2016 but nothing that describes their current catalog.

Has Briggs and Stratton eliminated throttle controls? Are all their vertical small-displacment engines setup for fixed speed? If so, why so?

Thanks
Scott Sands
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2021, 05:43 PM

Garage
that engine was replaced by 126L021025, that engine was replaced by 104m02-0020f1 which is fixed speed at 3200 RPM. but it appears they're all fixed speed

However, here is a list of engines with the same size and diameter crankshaft that should work, Briggs, Kohler, etc/
https://www.smallenginewarehouse.com...ype/25mm-Keyed

However, you can also get a shortblock, the shortblock number is superseded to this https://www.searspartsdirect.com/pro...-500/id-792741
basically you just swap over your intake manifold,, cylinder head, flywheel, ignition coiln carburetor, gas tank, dipstick. no INTERNAL work required

U.S.A
The Following User Says Thank You to Scrubcadet10 For This Useful Post:
ossands (01-06-2021)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2021, 04:43 AM

The "fixed speed" is fixed because the throttle has been replaced with a spring.
The carb mountings are the same so there is nothing to stop you taking the throttle & carb off your old mower & fitting it to the new engine
From I have removed all of the auto throttle rubbish from a couple of engines and replaced it the standard set up.
This was done to allow the engine to be throttled down when the cacher is emptied rather than what most people do , tape up the dead mans throttle and replace the catcher with the engine running full speed.
The whole set up complete with cut out on the catcher flap was obviously designed by an appartment living mentally retarded bureaucrat trying to make himself appear to have more than one functioning brain cell while saving the nation from injuries
Scrubcadet10 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to bertsmobile For This Useful Post:
ossands (01-06-2021)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2021, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all. I'll add the cost of a new throttle to my purchase.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2021, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Heres my solution

Getting one of these (Kohler XT800-2048--apparently from a Husqvarna deal went bad but good deal for me! thanks!)

https://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/XT800-3048

And adding one of these (Kohler 14-536-11-S variable speed Control Assembly)

Any comments?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2021, 12:39 AM

You might have to reconfigure the kill wire as well
Usually if there is one of those idiot flywheel brakes fitted the kill wire is hooked up to it and the microswitch is a NC type so backwads to most plunger needs to be in to stop the engine.
Again these get ripped out and the kill switch exchanged for a NC type so pulling in the bail kills the engine.
Usually a Husky model would have an orange vanity cover not a black one.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2021, 05:28 PM

EPA regulations. Slow running engines don't run clean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page