Toro 20065 not selfpropelling - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
Lawn Mower Main Forum This is the main MyLawnMower Forum discussion forum. Here you can discuss the latest lawnmowers, and other lawn care machinery.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Toro 20065 not selfpropelling

This 2007 Toro mower works well but the self propel mechanism is not working. I have done a lot of work on it. New belt, new transmission and numerous adjustments on the traction cable to no avail. Pulley is fine. When I engage the transmission with the lever, both front wheels rotate slowly but I can easily stop them by grabbing on to them and yet the axle continues to spin rapidly. I then removed the wheels and the pinion gear rotates but again I can grab on to the pinion gear and stop it and view the axle which continues to spin rapidly despite my stopping the pinion gear from rotating. The wheels rotate easily when the motor is not on, suggesting the wheel bearings are fine. The plastic gears on the inside of the wheels do not seem worn and again the problem remains when I have the wheels off and can manually stop the pinion gear. The pinion gears are not visibly worn.

Basically when the transmission is engaged, the front wheels turn slightly when off the ground but stop when they hit the ground and hence do not propel the mower.! I do wonder about the key and spring on the transaxle under the pinion gear. I tried replacing the keys but presently do not have access to new springs. Or could it be a worn pinion gear that is not visibly worn.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 03:15 PM

Welcome to MLF. It sounds like the pinion gears are installed on the wrong sides. The gears are marked (R) right and (L) left as viewed from the rear of the mower. Page-3-9 shows the correct installation.

http://www.amopower.com/Toro%20Lawn-...s%20Manual.pdf
Mark / Ohio likes this.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grunt For This Useful Post:
Mark / Ohio (10-10-2020)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Grunt. I was just notified today of your thread. I did notice the L and R markings on the pinion gears but did not know the reference as to which side was left and right. Now that I know the reference point is from behind the mower, I will check tomorrow which way I set it up. I thought both sides were interchangeable and the concern was the direction one puts in the gear as to whether the wheels will roll forward and you can pull the mower backwards when necessary. I read the section 3-9 and it is very explicit which is nice. I very much appreciate the manual link you sent.

I have been grasping at straws as to what the issue is and I will be thrilled if this corrects the problem. I started focusing on how loose the belt is. Even when the self propel is engaged, I can squeeze the belt and touch the other side, though it does turn the transmission and axle. I was considering ordering a shorter belt to see if that made a difference.

I will update you about the pinion gears tomorrow.

Thanks again for your interest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Bingo!! Thank you Grunt. You were spot on. I re-oriented the pinion ears per your reference link and it now self-propels like it should. I had them oriented the opposite of what they should be, I think using the front of the lawn mower as the reference point. I assume the pinion gears for this model are identical because both had "L" and "R" markings on them. Again my focus had been orienting them so they would make the wheels rotate forward, and not left to right. The link was very clear on the orientation.

I thank you for your advice and I am not sure I would have eventually figured it out.

I guess I am now a little "experienced"
Mark / Ohio and Grunt like this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 05:21 PM

Your welcome, glad you found the solution.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page