How much weight can I pull - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
Lawn Mower Main Forum This is the main MyLawnMower Forum discussion forum. Here you can discuss the latest lawnmowers, and other lawn care machinery.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

How much weight can I pull

I have a 2006 Cub Cadet lt1045 with a hydrostatic trans and a 20hp Briggs and Stratton engine. I mounted a small hitch and ball to pull my utility trailer (800lbs) around. I was wondering how much weight can I pull around my yard with this mower. I have to move fire wood and other things around occasionally. I just moved my pontoon trailer the other day and did a small "controlled" wheelie going up an incline with it hitched. (Slightly dangerous) But I see people pulling around trailers with boats on flat surfaces in the neighborhood just fine.
Any experiences or insight is helpful.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,236 Times in 1,141 Posts
Couple hundred pounds on reasonably flat terrain won't hurt anything. I wouldn't go too crazy, though. You probably have the ubiquitous Tuff Torq K46 tranny, which is a light-duty, non-serviceable unit. It really doesn't take that much to smoke one of those things.

The Following User Says Thank You to motorhead12 For This Useful Post:
Duster73 (06-30-2020)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Oh wow, I must have been pushing it pretty far. I didnt think much of it because it didnt slow down or make noise.
Thanks for the reply @motorhead12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 01:38 AM
Administrator

Garage
Yeah, they are not really designed to handle much more then the weight of the tractor plus a driver and not much left beyond that. It's actually a Hydro-Gear looks like but still the same basic design mainly for mowing and occasional lawn cart or sweeper. Definitely want to not get carried away on tongue weight. Something else to consider if you have any slopes is your brakes won't stop you with that kind of a weight on the trailer. Your tires will just lock and slide if it starts going down hill and the trailer will do the pulling and pushing to you and a jackknife is almost a given. The old "tail wagging the dog" analogy comes into play.

TractorData.com Cub Cadet LT1045 tractor transmission information

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 09:12 PM

I have a Scott's L2048 with a 20hp Briggs and a HD K46 trans. (A Scott's is just a John Deere painted orange) We used it at our Little League fields for mowing and dirt work. We pulled a 200 lb grader and a 100 pound nail drag. Both are unloaded weights. When loaded they were much, much heavier. After extended periods at high load weight the mower would just stop from overheating the trans. We would have to let it sit about 15 minutes before it would cool down enough to move again. So that's your warning sign if you are overworking it. We used that mower for 5 years and worked it way harder than it was meant to work. One day it just stopped, it had had enough.

I towed it home and rebuilt the Tuff Torq trans and it was good as new. But I also learned my lesson and replaced it. Now she's on light duty in my back yard. I replaced it with a Z920M and that thing is a pulling machine!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 11:17 PM

Domestic grade mowers ( everything under $ 10,000 ) have cheap trannies because Joe Public will not pay for good ones.
Rule of thumb is 1000 hours between rebuilds
The harder you work them, the fewer hours you will get from them.
A customer with a lot of steep hills had his go out in 600 hours and he did not tow anything.
I put heavier oil in it ( 20W 50 ) and he got another 100 ish hours out of it .
Cubs should take a bit more punishment because they are filled with 20W 50 from the factory.

If you do a lot of towing you will be better off getting something with a Peerless manual transmission or a variable sheave belt drive rather than a hydro.

Down here we have cone drive Cox mowers and they are real popular with boat yards & caravan yards for shifting units around
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies and some pretty good advice and experiences. Maybe I will look into something a little more stout in the next year so I don't hurt this mower. I can jump on Craigslist to hopefully scope out a good deal in the future.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 07:08 PM

People get confused about correct driving proceedures.
Mowing should always have the engine WFO
Hydros should always be used with the engine running WFO

But a manual gearbox does not care if the engine is doing 1000 pm or 4000 rpm.
So if you are only towing, a manual box. select the range you need then adjust your speed with the engine speed as you would driving a car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page