Ground Clearance - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
Lawn Mower Main Forum This is the main MyLawnMower Forum discussion forum. Here you can discuss the latest lawnmowers, and other lawn care machinery.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Ground Clearance

I am new to riding mowers. I currently mow two different areas; about one acre near my house and about two acres in a field a couple hundred yards away. I am cutting wild grasses and all kinds of foliage that grows there (cow parsnip, wild roses, nettles, etc.) I am now using a Swisher 48" tow behind brush cutter. It does a good enough job for me, as I don't manicure and neatly edge; I just keep it down. The problem I am having is making all those wide turns pulling it with an ATV. I was going to buy a 54" zero turn, but the problem is ground clearance. There are places where I don't know if I can clear the ground when transitioning from level to hill to level with the deck so close to the ground, even with the blades not turning.
I thought I might get a regular riding mower instead, but they don't seem to offer any more clearance.

Does anyone have any recommendation as to what would give me more clearance?

Why in heck can't they make these things so the deck will raise higher for transport??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 12:47 AM
Administrator

Garage
Welcome to the forum!

I don't know how much money is in your budget but maybe a larger tractor with a finish or brush mower mounted on a 3 point hitch at the back would be your better option? With the hitch mount you can then raise it up higher.

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

I need a zero turn because I waste too much time making wide turns. I just found out Deere z7 series has a "transport" mode, but I can't find out how high it raises, or if it can cut in the transport mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 12:50 AM
Administrator

Garage
Another option would be a front mount mower. Larger turning radius then a ztr but less then a tractor as these are rear steer:

https://www.deere.com/en/mowers/comm.../front-mowers/

This is an articulated tractor with front mower that swivels in the center so despite it's size, turning radious is pretty decent on it. A fellow down the street from me has one of these. Pretty neat looking unit with all kinds of attachments available.

https://steinerturf.com/tractor/450/

The steiner would probably go about anywhere your atv will go with 4 wheel drive. Just some more thoughts.

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 09:08 AM

The riding mowers are likely not a good choice.....

I've worked on 54" Deere and Craftsman riding mower decks.....The Craftsman 54" are known for 'low clearance decks".
the decks seem virtually identical ....less clearance than 42" and 48" I've worked on.

I have modified the decks for a bit more clearance: cut off about 3/4" the top of the inner side deck bracket hanger [its shaped like a piece of angle iron] where it butts the underside of the frame and limits upward movement, but even that just provides about the same clearance as small decks.

An alternative is to see if you can mount larger tires on a riding mower of your choice....??

or ask some local dealers what options they have......
The Following User Says Thank You to Robin For This Useful Post:
mbavers (06-10-2020)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark / Ohio View Post
Another option would be a front mount mower. Larger turning radius then a ztr but less then a tractor as these are rear steer:

https://www.deere.com/en/mowers/comm.../front-mowers/

This is an articulated tractor with front mower that swivels in the center so despite it's size, turning radious is pretty decent on it. A fellow down the street from me has one of these. Pretty neat looking unit with all kinds of attachments available.

https://steinerturf.com/tractor/450/

The steiner would probably go about anywhere your atv will go with 4 wheel drive. Just some more thoughts.

These all look great, but I can't afford them (the initial price or the maintenance). Besides, no one around here stocks these.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page