What type of grass do I have? - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
Lawn Mower Main Forum This is the main MyLawnMower Forum discussion forum. Here you can discuss the latest lawnmowers, and other lawn care machinery.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

What type of grass do I have?

Hi guys,

Just wanted to learn what type of grass I have. I'm in the province of Quebec, Canada. I was told that it maybe bluegrass.

This is my 1st season with a mower that can go over 4 inches and was thinking of cutting at 4 inches to help with the dry times.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190521_150300_1558468080638.jpg (7.81 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20190521_150328_1558468103723.jpg (8.93 MB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:00 AM

4 inches might be a bit too tall but 3 and 3.5 is good.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

I tried at 4. My mower goes up to 4.5.
May try 3 next time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190521_173335_1558716843236.jpg (8.48 MB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:50 PM

If I go down to 3" I hear it from my oldest son. Without going into detail, he is a stone cold expert when it comes to lawns & lawn care, with over 25 yr's experience.

The only time he says to cut it as low as 3" is early in the spring when it's growing fast, after that, 3.5-4" is better.

I generally run 3.5" except for the last cut of the year when I'll cut it at 3". My son says that the last cut can be as short as you want as long as you're not "scalping" it. This is in Michigan and the reason to go short for the winter is to reduce the possibility of "snow mold" in the spring. By going shorter the lawn can dry out better in the spring.

I can't remember all of the reasons for cutting grass longer for most of the year but it has to do with longer blades of grass being able to generate "more energy" for a healthier lawn. On top of that he says that taller grass helps keep weed seeds from getting down to the soil as easy. I do remember that he mentioned that longer blades of grass support deeper roots and even had a "ratio" dealing with that. Deeper roots go along with the healthier aspect of cutting longer.

Another thing is to not let your mower blades get dull as that's a top contributor of lawn disease. You want to cut the grass, not tear / rip at it since that puts undue stress on it.

There can be a fine line between a rut & a groove....
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I think longer grass helps protect the roots from the sun in drier times too.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:49 PM

If your not sure what type grass you have call around and see if you can find some one that can tell you. I have lived at my current house for 30 years and never needed to know what type grass I had until we tore out some over grown bushes last year and put in smaller ones which left big bare spot. I called around and found out a lady that worked at Earl May could tell me so I dug up a little and took it in and found out it's a tall fesuce.

I think knu2xs is spot on for height, I keep mine either at 3 3/4 or 4 1/4 except the last time I mow I take it down to 3 1/4.

I also like to mow in different directions like N to S, E to W and NE to SW and NW to SE because it looks nice but I think there is some reasoning behind it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page