John Deere 12SB - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
Lawn Mower Main Forum This is the main MyLawnMower Forum discussion forum. Here you can discuss the latest lawnmowers, and other lawn care machinery.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By GoBlowSnow1
  • 1 Post By Mark / Ohio

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

John Deere 12SB

Hello everyone, I am in need of some advice. I picked up a used 12sb (silver deck, unsure what engine - it is self-propelled with 5 speeds) from a Goodwill auction (great deal) and everything is clean and looks great but after prepping it I am only able to get it to run for about 30 seconds and it cuts off. A friend (not a mechanic but has some experience) thinks it must be the fuel line or the carburetor. The blade/deck look excellent and the whole machine appears to have been well maintained so I am wondering if it will be worth it to have it repaired? I know it is a pretty old model but bought it anyway based on the countless glowing reviews and would really love to get it running but have no experience with the cost of repairs for higher end mowers. It looks like the mower in the photo but is the 12SB not the 14. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you, Jodie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12sb.jpg (56.3 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 12:10 AM

ABSOLUTELY it is worth it to fix it up. Those things are still one of the best walk behinds ever produced! Even if it is 25+ years old. I'll take em over a honda anyday. You can turn around and probably sell it for $200 too. Did you get the mulching plug block with it? Someone might chime in regarding the running issue. Probably just needs a good carb cleaning. I have a younger sibling of that, the JX75 and I've had a few 14SBs as well. never had a 12SB. That engine is likely the 4HP Kawaski engine, a very good engine. The 14SB was far more common than the 12SB though.

Try this:

JDillon likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Garage
Sounds like fuel not flowing into the carburator fast enough and once it empties the float bowl it dies. Might for the heck of it try loosening the gas cap and see if it keeps running. Might be a plugged vent. Might be a partly blocked fuel line too. Since it does run for 30 seconds might be float issue in carb. But if it runs ok for those 30 seconds thinking more like slow fuel delivery to the carb.
JDillon likes this.

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

I was thinking about trying the gas cap trick after reading about it. I will tomorrow. It was also in gear when I started it and was ready to take off, haha..
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

I have a new Honda mower and I hate it. My old mower was a Murray mulcher with a Tecumseh engine and it could mow down anything. The engine far outlasted the deck but I kept using it until it was basically no longer safe - loved that thing, had it for years and it was used when I got it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks you guys - I am definitely going to get it fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page