Ear protection - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
Lawn Care and Landscaping Forum Discussion regarding your lawn care and landscaping. Post pictures of your landscaping plans, or your completed project. Post your questions when you are having troubles with your lawn.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By yoni
  • 1 Post By bees_knees

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Ear protection

Anybody using any ear protection with Bluetooth capabilities? Iíve been looking into the 3M Worktunes cause my regular ear buds are going to end up hurting my hearing in the long run. What ear protection do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 06:24 PM

I've been using a horseshoe style that goes around the neck and has little silicone ear buds that are wired to the horseshoe.

I have the LG HBS-760 and I'm on my second pair. They are discontinued but whatever replaced them should be just as good if not better. Just need to find something with that same style of silicone ear bud as it's comfortable and really works well to seal out noise. IMHO They've worked great for isolating the noise from the tunes and if I really want to just hear music I clamp on a set of over the head hearing protectors and it's like sitting in the living room listening to the stereo.

Link - - > LG HBS-760: LG TONE PRO. Flawless Style Meets Sonic Perfection | LG USA

The advice is free, you get what you pay for
Sears 18hp 46"
Toro WH 265-6 w/38"
JD 160 w/38"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Garage
I have the old version of the worktunes headset with only AM/FM radio. Runs on two AA batteries. I like them a lot but will definitely go with Bluetooth the next time around. Something that will work with my iPhone. I have a Jabra Steel ear plug I wear outside the home and during the day at work and it does good in noisy environments but offer no hearing protection. (I've talked on it several times setting on the riding mower with it idling.)

https://www.jabra.com/bluetooth-headsets/jabra-steel

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Iíve been using the Yurbuds Liberty wireless for 3 seasons now. Iím not sure they still make them but they are very comfortable and easy to use. Good sound quality, I just know if iím using them full blast, with my equipment, Iím gonna end up damaging my hearing somehow. Iíll end up ordering those worktunes soon, seems like the best bang for my buck considering the active noise canceling over ears are hundreds of dollars.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 01:45 AM

Do a search for Bose bluetooth headsets. They make some of the best.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 10:48 AM

Get this resolved sooner than later!!!! I have Tinnitus (constant ringing that sounds like crickets) in both ears and I would not wish it on anyone.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 01:15 AM
Administrator

Garage
Mine's more of a high frequency hiss rather then crickets. Kind of like the sound you would use to hear coming from the old CRT TV sets from the high voltage circuit in the 15 KHz range. Yeah, can get annoying when it is at its worst especially if setting in a location with no background noise.

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 01:40 AM

Almost wasn't/didn't respond as a long time lurker but non-poster.

I bought the 3M from both Lowes/Costco (for my self and my child), started out with the LG 730 (i think they lasted almost 2 years), but then several pairs later, another LG, and a few Amazon BT Chinese brands, that were short lived, I've got hearing loss from non-PPE use from the 80's-90's as well as percussion/roadie for heavy metal and rock bands, and firearms military high explosive exposure/unprotected firearm usage/fireworks, etc, yeah I've got some hearing damage.

Last June the Samsung S8 brought music alive again with its tuned for hearing loss across the spectrum, (I no longer need to crank music to hear in both ears, now it was elevated for both ears, I did get a free test from costco as I thought I needed hearing aids, but alas I didn't as much as I dreaded the recommendation to use muffs to preserve existing hearing, I relented and bought the 3M (Black/Yellow no radio, Li rechargeable batt.) As much as most muffs are uncomfortable I was surprised at the comfort after extended (+1hr) use, I found I could even take calls with my BBC Honda (throttled down but running), while earbuds did provide better playback, they did less to block ambient DB and volume was often at 85%+ to enjoy.

Well worth the $40-50, inexpensive after the 4-5 pairs of BT earbud around the neck versions (i.e. LG 7XX series), unknown if sweat, etc killed them, while the muffs are not stylish, they work and I imagine they should last several years (battery vs sweat/snagging).

an alternative is pickup a pair of battery powered active noise reduction shooting muffs and wear a pair of BT Buds under them.

But I can only highly recommend the 3M BT muffs.
motorhead12 likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Exactly my thoughts, I figured on using my shooting muffs after I ordered.. Silly me.. but either way they should be in today and Iíll let yíall know what itís like.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Got the worktunes in on Thursday evening. Initial overview and test inside my house was great. Everything was super easy to use, good comfortable headwear. When I took them to work the next day and finally got to us them I found I have a small problem that can be remedied. How do you use sunglasses without breaking the seal? Well, you canít, but you can buy goggles.... I donít want goggles. so I just mow without them, and when I go to do my trimming I sacrifice the 10Db reduction in my ears and use the eye protection. Other than that little thing, I canít see why I havenít bought these before. They work well, theyíre easy one button operation, you can talk on the phone with them, you donít have to use full volume at all. I listened to Podcasts on half volume yesterday and had no trouble hearing it at all.

Now I will say, that when I started looking into these they make a ďbetterĒ version for 72 bucks on Amazon. They have more buttons, and a huge antenna for AM/FM radio but iíve heard they seal better around your ears for things like glasses and hats. Either way, I think this is going to be my new mowing headphones for a long time.

Mark / Ohio likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page