Brush Cutter Options - Page 2 - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
Lawn Care and Landscaping Forum Discussion regarding your lawn care and landscaping. Post pictures of your landscaping plans, or your completed project. Post your questions when you are having troubles with your lawn.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 05:10 PM

Yep, that's another great option.

Don Evans

I thought I had G.A.S. under control. I was Gravely mistaken.
1963 L8 - Under reconstruction M 96599, M# G-5451
1972 816
1973 C - Parts tractor S/N 88418
1973 C8 - Current workhorse
1983 5200 - Current workhorse
30" Quick hitch mower
30" 106 mower
MA-210
48" plow blade
Restored Estate Sulky
Restored Standard Sulky
Restored Lawn Roller
Pull behind dump cart
Chain guard for the 30" mower
Rotary plow
Wish list 3/4's of a mile long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 05:24 PM

how hard are those jary sickles to find?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 07:06 PM

If you go for string and wheeled, Don't buy anything but a DR String mower.. None work even half as well as they do, Plus the build quality/engines they use are really good.

However, Devans is right. If you are tackling brush string is a waste of time, You need a blade.. DR Field/brush mowers are good but pricy.. You might want to look into picking up a used gravley off of craigslist or eBay.

The Jari Is also a good option, However it's better suited to tall grass/weeds without much substance, Sickle bar mowers can only really handle brush up to 1/2 inch easily.. Anything larger and it's really slow going for the most part.

-Stan

Last edited by Capstan; 03-26-2015 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Text became bold for some reason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 08:45 PM

Thanked 1,090 Times in 811 Posts
BCS is another company that sells machines that have different tools that can be attached to them. They too are pricey, but can be found on CL as well

Home - BCS America

Jari has been around for a very long time, and because of that, they have been grandfathered in to allow the continued manufacture of mowers using sickle bars. While they not only work well on tall grass, as Stan pointed out, I've cut things larger than 1/2" with mine.

Jari Mowers | Mowin' 70 Years Strong
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 08:55 PM

Thanked 1,090 Times in 811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
how hard are those jary sickles to find?
I actually looked a fairly long time for mine. I knew I wanted one for my place but there weren't any to be had when I needed it. I did find a Garden Way (later Troy Bilt) sickle mower close by that I bought and used it for a couple of years before finding my Jari on CL. The older Jari models have two levers that activate the cutter bar and drive. If you were to let go, it would keep on mowing until it hit something it couldn't cut down. Of course, that has been changed. The newer ones have a presence lever, similar to snowblowers, that you have to hold down to make them move. Once you let go, it stops.

The Garden Way/Troy Bilt is another option if that's the sort of thing that might fit your needs, but parts can be a problem as they don't make them anymore and don't support them.

Last edited by bwdbrn1; 03-27-2015 at 09:00 PM.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdbrn1 View Post
I actually looked a fairly long time for mine. I knew I wanted one for my place but there weren't any to be had when I needed it. I did find a Garden Way (later Troy Bilt) sickle mower close by that I bought and used it for a couple of years before finding my Jari on CL. The older Jari models have two levers that activate the cutter bar and drive. If you were to let go, it would keep on mowing until it hit something it couldn't cut down. Of course, that has been changed. The newer ones have a presence lever, similar to snowblowers, that you have to hold down to make them move. Once you let go, it stops.

The Garden Way/Troy Bilt is another option if that's the sort of thing that might fit your needs, but parts can be a problem as they don't make them anymore and don't support them.
most people learn about parts the hard way
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Garage
Kori,my Husksvarna wheeled trimmer works quite well, as does its Briggs engine. Don't know about DR machines quality. I can speak of my Husky, it was new when I got it, cut everthing I threw at it.

John Deere LX172 bagger
John Deere 180
1997 John Deere 345
1967 Sears Suburban SS10
1971 Bolens 1256
1972 Ford LGT145 plow tractor
1972 Sears Custom 8M Tow tractor
Craftsman 9HP snow blower
Honda HRB215SDA mower
Change is the normal with my tractor list!
John 3:16 Psalm 28:7 1 Corinthians 15:57
"Complain and remain, praise and be raised! "

Last edited by Ericjr16; 03-28-2015 at 07:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page