Ariens 936042 steering question - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Ariens 936042 steering question

The front wheels, when the steering wheel is straight, are not exactly parallel to each other. Is this normal, or do I need a drag link replacement? It's been like this since I bought it and there's been no damage to the steering linkage.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstout View Post
Anyone?
ariens are cheasp mowers so it may just be poor quality control

something in the steering cross bar joining the wheels to each other isnt bent right

the solution is replace the wheel spindle that has the tang on it that is bent wrong, but figuring out which one that is could involve guessing and random parts changing

quick and "dirty" solution sure to fix it at zero cost is to bend the cross bar connecting the wheels together or if you need it to spread apart more then remove one wheel and use a large cheater pipe on the wheel spindle shaft to bend the cross bar tangs in a bit to fix the angle

You can only learn if you ask the question, so there are no dumb questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Well, I've had this mower for several years now, and I can say that it certainly wasn't cheap to purchase. It's been relatively reliable. I just had to replace the spindles on the mower deck, which were OEM. I have only had to change the oil annually, and change out the spark plugs. Oh yeah, and I replaced the battery. I do the annual maintenance (oil and filter change, grease the front wheels, sharpen the blades, etc.)
I was just wondering if the front wheels are supposed to be parallel to each other, or at a slight angle for the turning radius.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 01:25 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
...I was just wondering if the front wheels are supposed to be parallel to each other, or at a slight angle for the turning radius.

Should be parallel or maybe a very small bit of toe-in. Should be no toe-out.

Tractor Systems and Controls: Lesson 23. Steering system : Necessity. Steering Geometry

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Well, I've had this mower for several years now, and I can say that it certainly wasn't cheap to purchase. It's been relatively reliable. I just had to replace the spindles on the mower deck, which were OEM. I have only had to change the oil annually, and change out the spark plugs. Oh yeah, and I replaced the battery. I do the annual maintenance (oil and filter change, grease the front wheels, sharpen the blades, etc.)
I was just wondering if the front wheels are supposed to be parallel to each other, or at a slight angle for the turning radius.
didnt mean to insult your mower, just stating the facts on where it stands in quality next to the other ayp brands.

as for the wheels being like that, it is a mystery for sure, but if the wheel bearings are loose and the steering spindles are loose and the steering bar links are lose, all these together can leave enough slack for a wheel to turn in or out "some"

i just had a craftsman with everything seemingly in good shape yet one wheel was turned like 30 degrees pointing out. the guy swears he never hit anything with it and i could find nothing bent or out of order and he had already bought two new steering link arms for it. in the end i made a bracket to move the steering link for that wheel 1" forward and that brought everything back in alignment. to this day i have no clue why the steering arm was suddenly 1" too long but he is very happy with the repair.

i have another one in the shop that has the same issue and that one at least has a bent axle from running into a tree but he claims the wheels werent straight before he hit the tree so im interested to see if things line up after replacing the whole front end assembly from a parts mower

Last edited by keakar; 06-15-2020 at 12:22 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Maybe it was damaged in shipping? It's been this way since it was delivered, and until recently, I only questioned it in my mind. I guess I don't know how to determine which wheel is bent.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 01:25 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
....I guess I don't know how to determine which wheel is bent.

Can you go by the spokes on the steering wheel? Maybe set the steering wheel so it looks like it should be going straight and see which wheel is more askew instead of pointing straight ahead?
keakar likes this.

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 08:05 AM

Thanked 1,090 Times in 811 Posts
According to the manual I looked at, there is no adjustment in toe-in/camber. It suggests taking it to a dealership. Unless there is exceptional wear to the tires or it is hard to steer, it might not be a problem.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdbrn1 View Post
According to the manual I looked at, there is no adjustment in toe-in/camber. It suggests taking it to a dealership. Unless there is exceptional wear to the tires or it is hard to steer, it might not be a problem.
most cases its not off enough to really pose a problem beyond being a little less turn radius on the mower and tires will go bald from the excess wear

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page