Ariens CTV transmission - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Ariens CTV transmission

I have an Ariens model 93608300/ A19A42 with a CVT transmission. The sticker on the transmission says General Transmissions HOP P/N 580486201. It is 4 years old. Lately it wants to “stick” in gear so that when I release the pedal it keeps going, although at a slower speed. It does this about 1 out of 4 times that I try to reverse direction and it happens in forward or reverse. When it sticks in reverse, I can’t even push the pedal “forward” as it is clearly hung up on something. I don’t want to force it, as I would then inevitably break something. Another symptom is when it is acting up like this, I can hear a distinct “slap” of metal between forward and reverse that is not there when it is working normally.
I have inspected the linkage between the pedal and where it connects to the transmission, and there is nothing obstructing that linkage so the hangup is somewhere beyond that, where the linkage connects to a vertical round pin that then disappears into several cams, springs, etc. on top of the transmission. I know they say this transmission is “sealed” but clearly there are levers, cams, springs, etc that are external to any “sealed” transmission and I suspect my problem is in there somewhere, but actually observing the problem and then diagnosing and repairing seems daunting. Maybe I could jack up the rear wheels, bypass the seat interlock, jumper start it with the battery out of the way, and actually get it running where I could see something happening! But right now, the only way to view that mechanism is with the engine off, the seat up, and the battery removed, so trying to see what is going on in actual operation is impossible.
I would like to hear from someone who has observed this same problem and hear how and if it was solved.

Gary L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:32 PM

dump it as fast as you can.....the tranny is garbage and can't be fixed....a new one is more then the cost of the tractor.I've got three that I junked for parts because of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page