Craftsman DLT2000 Hydrostatic Transaxle - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
Gear Drive Transmissions / Transaxles A place to discuss gear, variator and other non-fluid wheel drive systems.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By keakar
  • 1 Post By Cannon51
  • 1 Post By dcmowerman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Craftsman DLT2000 Hydrostatic Transaxle

Hello,
I have a Craftsman DLT2000 with a hydrostatic transmission. The mower was sitting for a couple years before I got it and was told ran fine when parked.

The release valve is not functioning to allow it to be rolled around. It runs and drives in forwards and reverse but is now smoking and getting very hot from the location of the hydrostatic release valve. I have removed the brake to make sure that was not the issue and it did not resolve. Any suggestions on other things to try before I pull the transaxle?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmowerman View Post
Hello,
I have a Craftsman DLT2000 with a hydrostatic transmission. The mower was sitting for a couple years before I got it and was told ran fine when parked.

The release valve is not functioning to allow it to be rolled around. It runs and drives in forwards and reverse but is now smoking and getting very hot from the location of the hydrostatic release valve. I have removed the brake to make sure that was not the issue and it did not resolve. Any suggestions on other things to try before I pull the transaxle?

Thanks
ya its time to go in

if you never did one before i recommend you watch taryls video, it a simple easy rebuild but he covers all the details and things to look for pretty good
motorhead12 likes this.

You can only learn if you ask the question, so there are no dumb questions.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 05:15 AM

The DLT2000 I have uses a Hydro Gear Transmission 323-0510. I've had mine about 10 years and the trans hasn't given any trouble. I would consider removing the fender pan and gas tank then visiting the quarter car wash if you have access to a trailer. You can also remove the 4 bolts that hold the rear part of the frame. Be sure the belt is not loose enough to slip on the pulley. If you do decide to go into it I found this video
Hydro-Gear also has some manuals online.
Cannon
keakar likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information and videos. Haven’t attempted this repair previously but it looks doable. I’ll update when I tear it down.
keakar likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmowerman View Post
Thanks for the information and videos. Haven’t attempted this repair previously but it looks doable. I’ll update when I tear it down.
just remember to have a bucket or catch tray under it in case you drop something, and a good clean work space to lay everything out. this is not a job to do in the yard. the key is everything must be clean clean clean because it does matter, you only want to do this job once

You can only learn if you ask the question, so there are no dumb questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page