My Lawnmower Forum banner

G,day

957 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  DavidMars 
#1 ·
G,day from Australia..... always hated mowing grass, but having recently purchased a property out in the country (tree change) I now have more grass than I've ever had...... but it's all mine and I love mowing it....?
Bought myself a second hand toro groundsmaster 1000L. Crazy expensive here in OZ. Does the job, infact I think it's a perfect match 4 me, till I get a few cows.

#2 ·
Thanks for finding us, welcome to MLF!

#3 ·
Just bear in mind that you have a finish mower under your bum and not a slasher .
Keep the blades sharp and mow often.
In fact get a 2nd or 3rd set and change them every couple of mows or you will find they self tighten so hard you will have to cut the blade bolts off .
Good luck trying to get livestock right now .
Depending upon where you are, consider alpacas easy care , shear 3 times then sell into the meat market .
Goulburn does Alpacas one day a month & prices are really good.
Apart from that they have pads so do not compact the soils , aggressivly chase off foxes & snakes and are very water efficient.
Same stocking rate as sheep.
Toss a couple of goats in with them to clean up what the alpacas don't eat.
RGS & Stens should both do aftermarket blades at around 1/2 to 2/3 the Toro price and ASP have a reasonable range of bigger mower blades also at good prices.

Don't try to do tight 180's , bad for the machine & bad for the pasture .
Everywhere that you rip the grass & leave a bare patch is a potential wed germination spot .
Do one or two runs clockwise around the fence line so you are tossing the clippings into the paddock then cut the rest in anti clockwise circles .
This prevents a build up of clippings around the fence & fence posts.
A windrow around the fence is asking for a grass fire to take out the bottom wire and piles around the posts make it difficult to trim or spray around the posts .

#4 ·
Bertsmobile

Gday...... thanks for your thoughts, I do mow often.... almost weekly if it's not too wet. Mowing pattern, well I'm stuck with mowing from side to side as 2/3 of my grass is on the side of a hill. I'm about 280m above sea level on a hill. I can barely manage to stay on track as it gets as steep as 45 degrees, so a 180 turn is my best option. Cant get traction going up the slope, only in reverse and it doesn't like moving backwards and neither do I.

As far as steers or cows I guess I'm lucky as my neighbors offer me calves every time they breed. Its dairy country here green wet and beautiful. Besides I just want then so I dont have to mow it all and then once their big enough they will go in my freezer...... win win.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.