New Guy - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
New Member Introduction Are you new new to MyLawnMowerForum.com? Please take some time to introduce yourself.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Grunt
  • 1 Post By bertsmobile

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

New Guy

Hello,

3 or 4 years ago I purchased a new "Toro 22in Recycler LawnMower" with SmartStow at Home Depot. It worked just great, always starting on 1 or 2 pulls until this summer. Now it's a contest to see if I can outlast it or not .. I had over 16 pulls yesterday before it stared and it's wearing me down in this heat this summer. Once it starts it runs fine,

i can turn it off and grab a cold .. water and it'll start right away. Let it sit for a few days and I'll be pulling again. It may only need a new sparkplug - no idea honestly?

I know this is New Member Introduction and may not be the correct place to post my question and I promise not to let it happen again.

Thanks,

klhender
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,236 Times in 1,141 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you need to clean your carburetor out. Are you in the habit of running it out of gas or draining it at the end of the season?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 04:55 PM

Welcome to MLF. Could you post the model number of your motor which I believe will be a Briggs & Stratton.
The newer Briggs advertise no choke and no priming because they have an automatic choke controlled by a module attached to the muffler. When the motor is cold, the choke plate should be closed and you will have to remove the air filter and it's housing to see it. If the choke module is faulty or the linkage is binding , the choke will be open on a cold motor and make it difficult to start.

It could be a spark plug, but I doubt it since the engine starts fine when warm.
motorhead12 likes this.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,236 Times in 1,141 Posts
Grunt has a good point. I actually just worked on a mower with that exact problem; not sure why it didn't come to mind...

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead12 View Post
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you need to clean your carburetor out. Are you in the habit of running it out of gas or draining it at the end of the season?
I almost never run it out of gas and try to leave it full (gas) with fuel stabilizer over winter. I didn't even consider it having a carburetor? Thanks Motorhead12.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
Welcome to MLF. Could you post the model number of your motor which I believe will be a Briggs & Stratton.
The newer Briggs advertise no choke and no priming because they have an automatic choke controlled by a module attached to the muffler. When the motor is cold, the choke plate should be closed and you will have to remove the air filter and it's housing to see it. If the choke module is faulty or the linkage is binding , the choke will be open on a cold motor and make it difficult to start.

It could be a spark plug, but I doubt it since the engine starts fine when warm.
Grunt - I'll be happy to post the engine model number. I'm back home for a few days and it's time to mow again so I'll be out there in a few hours. Thanks much ...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhender View Post
Grunt - I'll be happy to post the engine model number. I'm back home for a few days and it's time to mow again so I'll be out there in a few hours. Thanks much ...

Mr. Grunt,

You were correct when you said the engine would be a B&S. the model is (# 16-1109-58-30781), year 2016, 163cc. Sorry it took so long to get this info back to you.

Thanks,

klhender
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 01:05 AM

Does it have a primer bulb, a choke or an auto choke ?
Usually failure to start cold but starts easy hot will be the choke failing to close fully.
Joe Kuhn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page