Last week, I answered an ad for a free Toro mower with an aluminum deck and the Suzuki 4-cycle engine that supposedly ran until recently. It came with a bag too.
It was missing the air cleaner lid and the deck had 2 holes and a crack. I thought about just parting it out, but it was complete. I decided to see if I could get its carb cleaned. It turned out that it had a sticking throttle butterfly shaft, so once that was resolved, it actually started/idled/ran. BBC works great too!
The chrome on the handlebar is in great shape and it looks to have been taken care of. I decided to save it. I patched up the holes with some JB Weld Steelstik and gave it a partial respray.
Pic #3 shows it next to my other ongoing reclamation project. I decided to replace the air filter assembly with a Briggs Quantum piece from a recently junked Craftsman mower. I only needed to do some minor trimming where the carb meets the air filter housing, and drill 2 new holes on the Briggs Quantum air filter housing. It actually looks pretty clean, and Quantum air filters are definitely cheaper. I'm using an old fuel filter as a house coupler in the last picture. It runs REALLY well. I can't wait to mow with it.
A parts mower showed up on my radar this week that netted me a metal dipstick that actually threads on, the previously missing air cleaner lid, and an extra bag. Here are the factory parts slapped on the first mower.