Toro Groundsmaster 4500 starts but won't move - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Normando
  • 1 Post By Normando

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Toro Groundsmaster 4500 starts but won't move

I have an '08 or '09 Toro Groundsmaster 4500 D that starts fine (Kubota Diesel), and for about 15 or 20 seconds operates normally, but after that it makes a thump sound and I cannot go forward or backward. The pedals also seem to lose firmness. If I keep it running, it also makes an intermittent click or thump noise as it runs. The mower decks will also not engage, or allow for movement up or down after the initial 15 or 20 seconds. Any idea what this could be? I don't see any hydraulic fluid leaks anywhere, but don't know where to start looking for the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 02:12 AM
Administrator

Garage
You can find a service manual pdf file here to download to help you with troubleshooting that:

https://www.toro.com/en/parts?Search...uipment&page=2

Almost sounds like the hydraulic flow is being blocked or a relief valve is opening for some reason. Maybe a plugged filter?

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

I agree that it is definitely a hydraulic issue, and I am going to have to go pump by pump to check it. The reservoir is full, and the filter is good. I might need to call the local golf course, as they have one of these mowers, and see if they have had this issue. Once I find out what it is, I will post it in case someone else has this issue at some point.
Mark / Ohio likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 01:28 AM
Administrator

Garage
Doesn't look like any type of safety mechanism on the hydraulics that might cause the issue. Only other thought might be if the manual bypass valve to tow it might be cracked open a bit.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

That was a good suggestion, and in checking that I found that the wheels roll freely, which should never happen if the hydraulics are working and indicated a full system issue. I called a local golf course to see if they had one of these mowers, and he was nice enough to send me pictures of his 4500D mechanics. He also mentioned that there is a coupler that mates engine to pump, and this model has a history of this being an issue. I tested for it, and that is the issue. It is cheap to repair in regards to parts, but it takes about 8 hours to do. Thanks for the help.
Mark / Ohio likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 01:56 AM
Administrator

Garage
Dang! Sounds like Toro did a good job of burying what turned out to be a common failure part. Keep us posted how it turns out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page