Toro Mower Carburetor Leaking Fuel After Cleaning - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Toro Mower Carburetor Leaking Fuel After Cleaning

Hi all,

I made the classic mistake of leaving some gas in my mower over the winter and pulled it out thinking it would fire right up. It did not. I've cleaned the carburetor on this mower once before with perfect success, but this time it hasn't gone so smoothly.

Just a quick note that this isn't a strong suit of mine. I followed the same YouTube tutorial (shown below) I did the last time, which again, was successful.

So after cleaning and reassembling the carburetor, one pull on the mower and it started right up for 5-10 seconds. Then it started to die until it puttered out, and when I looked at the carburetor, it was really leaking gas pretty excessively. And it didn't seem to stop too quickly. It's likely the entire tank of gas (which wasn't a lot to begin with) drained out through the carburetor.

The leak is not coming from the screw(s) at the bottom of the bowl. To me, it looks like it's coming out of everywhere all at once.

So I did some diagnostics. I took the carburetor back off and brought it inside for inspection. After draining the gas and wiping it down, I used a small plunger to inject some water through the fuel inlet, just to see if it would leak. With a couple plungers of water in the bowl, I rotated the bowl around to see if there was a leak with the bowl gasket. That didn't leak a drop, so that seal is good.

What I did notice, though, is that there might be a problem with the float. When I have the whole carburetor upside down, and thus the float is down, and I blow into the fuel inlet, it's restricted like it should be. But then I turned the carburetor right-side-up so the float would fall, like it would be with no fuel in the bowl. When I then lifted on the float and blew into the inlet, air was getting through. It looks like the pin is not fully seating when the float is lifted from the right-side-up position. Could that be the problem? My thought is this could allow the fuel line to continue to drop fuel into the bowl past where it should, causing the whole thing to overflow.

Any thoughts on this one? Happy to answer any follow-up questions or send requested pictures.

Much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 09:40 PM

What exact model is your mower (or engine/carb)? Some OPE carbs require a precise rotational orientation of the carb bowl so that it doesn't bind the float. There may also be a problem with the float needle or the seat. On some carbs, the seat can get dislodged during cleaning. Close examination may be required to determine the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page