Hit a stump, bolt fell out, now blade/pulley area rattles loudly - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By tabora

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Hit a stump, bolt fell out, now blade/pulley area rattles loudly

I was mowing at 2.5" and nailed a hidden stump, hard enough to almost knock me off. Backed up and found the bolt in the picture in the grass. Grabbed it and when I resumed mowing there's a loud rattling below me and to my right around where the pulleys are. I jacked it up and blew off all grass/debris that's obscuring bolt locations and can NOT for the life of me find where this thing goes. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (1.35 MB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 08:11 PM

What's your exact model number? Perhaps that's one of the spindle housing screws, and the spindle housing shattered at the mounting hole? I would start off by verifying that each spindle housing has all 4 or 6 (depending on spindle housing model) mounting bolts intact. I don't see a shoulder bolt like that one anywhere in the Z16-44 mower deck parts, though... The only shoulder bolt listed in the parts manual is 37-8770 and it is used in the seat mounting.

I did not find any Toro Z shoulder bolts that exactly match that one; the closest one I located was a R107-2979 from a reel mower.

Briggs & Stratton uses bolts that kind of resemble it, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P_14532_10_m.jpg (40.9 KB, 0 views)
wh55 and jtclays like this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

I attached the pic of the mower info.
Model: 74502
Serial Number: 220000347

"Perhaps that's one of the spindle housing screws, and the spindle housing shattered at the mounting hole? I would start off by verifying that each spindle housing has all 4 or 6 (depending on spindle housing model) mounting bolts intact."

Are the spindles the belt pulleys? Sorry, inherited the mower with the purchase of the house, and while I replaced the motor myself, I'm clueless on the actual blade/deck area.

It does have a B&S replacement engine, but A) the noise isn't coming from the engine, B) engine is solidly mounted to the frame, C) the engine is running smoothly as it always has. This doesn't mean you're wrong, I am no expert, just providing my observations.

EDIT: watching a video of a guy changing spindles, it looks like I need to check the bottom of the deck where the spindle bolts are, like you suggested. Will do that after work.

Thanks!

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (1.23 MB, 1 views)

Last edited by 68AMC343; 09-27-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 02:29 PM

Now that we know the model number and serial number, here is the correct link to the parts diagrams for your mower: https://www.toro.com/getpub/41552 I still don't see a shoulder bolt anywhere except up by the seat mount, so look around at the other bolts to see if you can find similar ones...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 12:59 AM
Administrator

Garage
I spent some time looking as well and didn't find anything. One would think it would kind of stand out on the diagram. It must be one not shown in it's entirety.

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

I was looking so closely for a hole where that shoulder bolt goes, I missed the obvious: the right side trunion rod is severely bent and now very loose (page 14 part 17 104-8047 4 Rod-Trunion). I still don't know where that shoulder bolt came from, but I'll get that replaced (fixed?) and see what happens.

Thanks!

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-3535.JPG (2.68 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-3534.JPG (1.47 MB, 2 views)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 08:41 PM

Maybe the bolt is from another mower, that also hit the stump ! Ha! Anyhow, sounds as though the blades never hit...just the deck...so seems like spindles should be ok...and safe to operate...[best to take a good look though]...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

I swapped in the new trunion rod, put in new clevis pin, tightened it down, added washers to another trunnion rod that was wobbly, checked for missing bolts holding the blade pulleys on, nothing missing, ran it and when the blades are engaged I get a very loud rattle that speeds up and down with the throttle, basically sounds like blades hitting metal. Is it possible I bent the deck into the blades? That seems far-fetched, but something is not right and it's WAY too loud to mow. I can't really have the blades engaged and look underneath at the same time. Also the idler pulley has a pretty good wobble, although it's not wobbling itself (on the bearings), it's the tensioner bracket bolted to the deck. This also means the belt has a lot of wobble going to the blade pulleys.

At this point i'm not sure what was wobbling before and after the stump, but i'm down to checking for wear marks on the deck underside to see where the blade is hitting. After that is it hammer time?

Thanks!

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page