Toro Model # 20018 with Tecumseh LEV120 - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Toro Model # 20018 with Tecumseh LEV120

Hello everybody,
I bought this lawnmower used and it ran pretty well until I hit a rock. Everything came to a screeching halt, I took the flywheel off and the key was shot. I got a replacement and put it back together. I tried starting it and even though it started it was hard to get it going. Now it runs for 5 minutes and cuts out.
I took the head off to check the valve clearances and they were about .008 ". I left them alone since they're within spec. I put a new head gasket and torqued the head to 200 in/lb. I'm not sure if the compression is any good, I measured about 55-60 lbs ... but I don't know if this engine has any decompression mechanism.
Last time I tried to start it it ran but poorly and it sounded like the RPMs were real low, perhaps I misplaced the arm for the governor and it just has to be bent back a little.
I have the following questions:
1- Is the compression good enough
2- Should I re-adjust the valves
3- Is there anything else I can do to make it run properly

Thank you so much for the advice,
Henry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,227 Times in 1,133 Posts
I think that motor does have a compression release, but I've never had one with compression that low honestly. I'm a bit confused about your valve clearance because the LEV120 engines that I'm familiar with are a side valve design, if I'm not mistaken, and so you would check the clearance between the valve stems and the lifters by removing the stamped steel plate on the side, not by pulling the head. The other issue is that, assuming the crankshaft is not bent, the plastic teeth on the camshaft could very well be damaged, or the compression release could be broken, causing it to be unable to fully disengage. The camshaft in these motors is a cast piece with a plastic ring of teeth molded onto the part that engages the crankshaft, and I've seen them get partially sheared or damaged from a shock to the blade.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Hi Motorhead,

I did not mention it but the valve clearance measurement was taking after removing the plate on the side, the reason why I removed the head was to make sure I was at TDC and to check the cylinder head and how the valves were seated.
BTW how do I adjust the valve clearances when a little too large?

Thanks,
Henry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,227 Times in 1,133 Posts
If you had significantly too much valve clearance, you would have to do a valve job by grinding the seats down and resurfacing/lapping the valves in. There's no way to adjust the valves with a turn of a nut like on an OHV engine. However, sounds like your clearance is fine, so it's not the source of the problem. You may have to split the engine to see if the cam is busted or it there's other mechanical damage...
keakar likes this.

Last edited by motorhead12; 07-24-2019 at 01:43 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Motorhead for the assessment.
It's hard to be sure if the primer on this engines work as you don't hear or see if any gas is flowing so I took the carb off and cleaned really well. I tried starting the engine and it was really hard, I had to use the electric started as my arm got very tired of pulling ... if did start but in about 2-3 min started to miss and eventually died. I'm not sure if is worthy to open it up and see what's wrong with it.
If anybody has a LEV120 for sale let me know.

Thanks,
Henry.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

I took the engine apart but did not see anything wrong with it, but then again I'm not an expert so what do you guys think? Here are some pictures:

The only thing I can think of is the crankshaft being bent.

Thanks for the comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0412.JPG (132.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0413.JPG (114.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0411.JPG (132.2 KB, 4 views)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 11:29 PM

1. It looks like the timing marks on the camshaft and crankshaft are not aligned. You're off by one tooth.
2. And, of course, your tappets (valve lifters) are lying in the bottom of the crankcase there.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

I know about the timing marks, I'll get them aligned.
The tappets fell out when I tilted the engine, how do I know which is which?

Thanks,
Henry.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:28 PM

The lifters should both be the same.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Okay, thanks Tabora.
Does anybody know the part # for the shaft key to the adapter that holds the blade?

Henry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page