Is this normal for a new TORO Recycler Mower?? - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Bloomington, IL.
Posts: 10
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Is this normal for a new TORO Recycler Mower??

Just purchased a new TORO Recycler 20340 Mower with the B&S 163cc engine. I have only used it twice, but each time after the engine has run about 4-5 minutes, the engine will briefly sputter about a half second or so like it is running out of gas, then run normally once again for about the same time period and repeat the same scenario. It has brand new fresh gas that I put into it so I seriously doubt it is a bad gas issue. Otherwise the engine runs just fine, and it uses a lot less gas than the previous Honda mower that I owned. I know this engine is self-priming and has a fixed engine speed since there is no throttle and or choke cable. Just wondering if this is normal for the engine to run like this; or if there is a quick simple fix for this problem. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
ronusa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Lenox, Il
Posts: 250
Thanks: 16
Thanked 54 Times in 45 Posts
Welcome to MLF Ron. Try loosening the gas cap and running it to see if maybe the vent is partially blocked.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Grunt is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Bloomington, IL.
Posts: 10
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tip Grunt; and hopefully that might work.
ronusa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:35 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds off hand like a gas restriction in the line from gas tank to carburetor or carburetor issues. Being it's new, may I ask did it have gas in it when you bought it from the dealer or was it completely dry and you were the first to put gas in it? Thinking the dealer might have left gas in it a while before it was sold and maybe the carb got some gunk in it.


To check flow from the tank, if you have access to where the gas line goes into the carburetor, you can disconnect the line and if the gas is flowing our freely then no restriction in the line.



If you have warranty, then taking it back to the dealer would be an option. Most stuff comes with at least one year warranty. motorman
motorman is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Bloomington, IL.
Posts: 10
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I bought the mower brand new from a big box store that came in an new unopened box. Yes the gas tank was totally completely dry when I filled it with new fresh gas. Henceforth the reason why it took about 4-5 good pulls on the rope before the engine finally started since the carburetor was totally dry to begin with. Also the gas flows freely from the tank to the carburetor.


Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Sounds off hand like a gas restriction in the line from gas tank to carburetor or carburetor issues. Being it's new, may I ask did it have gas in it when you bought it from the dealer or was it completely dry and you were the first to put gas in it? Thinking the dealer might have left gas in it a while before it was sold and maybe the carb got some gunk in it.


To check flow from the tank, if you have access to where the gas line goes into the carburetor, you can disconnect the line and if the gas is flowing our freely then no restriction in the line.



If you have warranty, then taking it back to the dealer would be an option. Most stuff comes with at least one year warranty. motorman
ronusa is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Bloomington, IL.
Posts: 10
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update: Used the mower yesterday evening for just the 3rd time, and the problem seems to have mostly gone away as it just sputtered for about half a second one time only. This time I filled the gas tank to about 3/4" below the vent opening. Maybe that might have been the original cause since I was overfilling the tank????
ronusa is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:07 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well Good! I hope it stays running good. When I start mowing grass, I want to git r dun and do not want to mechanic on lawn mowers---even though sometimes that's just what it takes. Have a goodun
motorman is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 01:32 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: United States
Posts: 15
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronusa View Post
Update: Used the mower yesterday evening for just the 3rd time, and the problem seems to have mostly gone away as it just sputtered for about half a second one time only. This time I filled the gas tank to about 3/4" below the vent opening. Maybe that might have been the original cause since I was overfilling the tank????


I always fill the tank to where the fuel is even with the opening of the neck of the filling hole. Never had any problems.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OneMarcilV is online now  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:48 PM
POM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronusa View Post
Update: Used the mower yesterday evening for just the 3rd time, and the problem seems to have mostly gone away as it just sputtered for about half a second one time only. This time I filled the gas tank to about 3/4" below the vent opening. Maybe that might have been the original cause since I was overfilling the tank????
Has the fuel level proved to be the solution?

I've had my Toro 20340 for a little over a year now. It did the same thing the first time it was used. It never dies, just seems to slow down, then recovers.

Over time I've noticed that it doesn't seem to "hesitate" (for want of a better description) when first started (temperature typically in the 70s), but it will when it's fully warmed up. Also, when warm, if I raise the front wheels just clear of the ground, and rock the handle side to side, it will hesitate. This had me thinking it's either fuel related, perhaps the level in the carburetor bowl, or governor-related, as the governor mechanism is in the sump, and the oil there will be sloshing around as well and perhaps could affect the position of the weights.

I've removed and fully cleaned the carb (even though it didn't need it) as this is a common issue with the plastic B & S carburetor, including removing and flushing the jet assembly, to no avail. In doing this, I noticed that the needle valve is white plastic, the same as the float, with a rubber tip, whereas the replacement part (59458) is shown on-line as being metal. Not sure if this too could be factor.

I should add that it has hesitated once or twice where there weren't significant bumps that I noticed, but perhaps there was some shifting as I moved along.

I've been searching forums and reviews, and found other reports of this same symptom. However, it does seem to be limited to this Toro model, which has the B & S 104M02-0131-F1 engine. As far as I could find so far, this engine was used only on this particular Toro mower. (It's the Stow-and-Mow version, which allows the unit to be stored vertically. I understand that there might be some modifications in the engine to accommodate this, and I'm thinking these changes could be the reason for the hesitation symptom.)

Also, in regard to the governor, I'm going to revisit the oil level. As the hesitation seems to occur after it's warmed up, I'm wondering if the oil level could be a factor. It's set to be at Full when cold, but will check it to see how much higher it is when fully warmed up. If it's much higher, I might reduce the level (but still within the permissible range), to see if that might have an effect.

Otherwise, it starts well first pull, and runs smoothly the rest of the time.

Hope to get the wisdom and experience of the group here.

Thanks.
POM is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Bloomington, IL.
Posts: 10
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all of the detailed info as I'm now a little more enlightened about this particular B&S engine. The engine still hesitates just a couple of times when it is being used, whether it is on a fairly smooth, or a somewhat bumpy surface. Otherwise it is a great mower.


Quote:
Originally Posted by POM View Post
Has the fuel level proved to be the solution?

I've had my Toro 20340 for a little over a year now. It did the same thing the first time it was used. It never dies, just seems to slow down, then recovers.

Over time I've noticed that it doesn't seem to "hesitate" (for want of a better description) when first started (temperature typically in the 70s), but it will when it's fully warmed up. Also, when warm, if I raise the front wheels just clear of the ground, and rock the handle side to side, it will hesitate. This had me thinking it's either fuel related, perhaps the level in the carburetor bowl, or governor-related, as the governor mechanism is in the sump, and the oil there will be sloshing around as well and perhaps could affect the position of the weights.

I've removed and fully cleaned the carb (even though it didn't need it) as this is a common issue with the plastic B & S carburetor, including removing and flushing the jet assembly, to no avail. In doing this, I noticed that the needle valve is white plastic, the same as the float, with a rubber tip, whereas the replacement part (59458) is shown on-line as being metal. Not sure if this too could be factor.

I should add that it has hesitated once or twice where there weren't significant bumps that I noticed, but perhaps there was some shifting as I moved along.

I've been searching forums and reviews, and found other reports of this same symptom. However, it does seem to be limited to this Toro model, which has the B & S 104M02-0131-F1 engine. As far as I could find so far, this engine was used only on this particular Toro mower. (It's the Stow-and-Mow version, which allows the unit to be stored vertically. I understand that there might be some modifications in the engine to accommodate this, and I'm thinking these changes could be the reason for the hesitation symptom.)

Also, in regard to the governor, I'm going to revisit the oil level. As the hesitation seems to occur after it's warmed up, I'm wondering if the oil level could be a factor. It's set to be at Full when cold, but will check it to see how much higher it is when fully warmed up. If it's much higher, I might reduce the level (but still within the permissible range), to see if that might have an effect.

Otherwise, it starts well first pull, and runs smoothly the rest of the time.

Hope to get the wisdom and experience of the group here.

Thanks.
ronusa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome