Toro TimeCutter 14-38Z - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By tabora

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Toro TimeCutter 14-38Z

Now that it's getting dark earlier, I decided it was time for some lights on the 14-38Z... I purchased an illuminated switch ($4.95) and wiring harness ($7.99) and a pair of 18W LED light bars ($12.29). Pretty easy to install, and very happy with the results! Much cheaper than the Model 74350 light kit, and also positioned in a safer location, I think. I wired the harness +12V into the orange lead coming off the ignition switch going to the seat switch, just as the original Toro harness for the Model 74350 is shown in the wiring diagram in the manual.

Also installed an hour meter & tach ($11.72) and programmed in the maintenance intervals, added a permanent battery charging pigtail and charger from Harbor Freight. A productive afternoon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Today's Mods.jpg (1.78 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg LEDs On.jpg (1.56 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg LED Switch.jpg (172.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg LED Harness.jpg (42.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Hour Meter & Tach.jpg (1.67 MB, 10 views)
Mark / Ohio and Ericjr16 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 01:25 AM
Administrator

Garage
Good job!

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Garage
Nice work! Looks factory!

John Deere LX172 bagger
John Deere 180 yard tug
1997 John Deere 345
1967 Sears Suburban SS10
1971 Bolens 1256
Craftsman 9HP snow blower
Honda HRB215SDA mower
Change is the normal with my tractor list!
John 3:16 Psalm 28:7 1 Corinthians 15:57
"Complain and remain, praise and be raised! "

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

FYI, the Toro Genuine Part Model # 106-2245 LIGHT-KIT is about 10 times the cost of the items I purchased on eBay (listed above) for the installation... And I really like the high-mount installation a lot better.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 05:58 PM

Very Nice Job! I was wondering how you liked the LEDs mounted high. I have a zero turn that I am going to mount LEDs on but thought I'd put them lower and in front of my controls.

Are the LEDs you're using giving you adequate side light for those zero turns after dark?

Thanks for posting but you must realize that you've put folks like me that have had the parts forever but not installed them yet in a spot. I have the lighting, tach/hourmeter, deck repair parts that I've put off for ...years, waiting for that "good time" to do them all at once. Now I'm encouraged that at least two of the three projects CAN be done in a day. There goes my best excuse for not getting it done.

Thanks!
No really, THANKS!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboTN View Post
Very Nice Job! I was wondering how you liked the LEDs mounted high. I have a zero turn that I am going to mount LEDs on but thought I'd put them lower and in front of my controls.
The factory kit mounts way out on the front end and even mounting them in front of the control arms exposes them to the branches/bushes I stick the nose of the mower underneath. I was a little afraid of banging into them with my feet/legs, too. I'm continually having the caps knocked off the caster tops and decided to place the lights in the safest place I could find, slightly behind the seat and close in on the sides. I angled them down a bit, too, so the light comes right in close to the deck on the ground.

Quote:
Are the LEDs you're using giving you adequate side light for those zero turns after dark?
They're supposed to have close to a 60 degree beam angle (more flood than spot), but it seems like more than that and it's fairly broad coverage between the two of them. As you can see from the shadow angle on the bottom of the seat (original and emphasized photos below), the coverage is pretty good. Brightest where they overlap in the middle.

Quote:
Thanks for posting but you must realize that you've put folks like me that have had the parts forever but not installed them yet in a spot. I have the lighting, tach/hourmeter, deck repair parts that I've put off for ...years, waiting for that "good time" to do them all at once. Now I'm encouraged that at least two of the three projects CAN be done in a day. There goes my best excuse for not getting it done.
You'll be happy to know that I can procrastinate with the best of them... I bought the lighting stuff back in June, and the tach/hour meter in October 2014 for an entirely different project. I just installed the new shocks on my BMW wagon that I also purchased in 2014, and even worse, just installed the Onan generator at my camp that I purchased in August, 2000 (well, the one it replaced was doing OK until a few years ago)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LEDs On.jpg (1.56 MB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg LEDs On Light Angle.jpg (1.73 MB, 1 views)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the reply....I feel much better now....still motivated to "gitterdone" but my tears have dried!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page