Toro Z Turn Starting Issue - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kiss4aFrog

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Toro Z Turn Starting Issue

I have a 2014 Toro Commercial Z Turn 42" mower. For the past 6 months, when I turn the key to start it, nothing happens. No sound, clicking, nothing. I turn the key several times, then all of a sudden, it turns over and starts. It runs great while running. If I stop the engine, and restart it, it happens again. I don't think it's the battery because there's no clicking sound when I turn the key. The batter terminals are clean and tight. There's no consistent number of times I have the turn the key before it starts. It might be 2 times, or 10 times, or more. It might start on the first turn, I never know.

There are no loose wires or connections that I can see. Anyone have any clues as to what might be the problem so I can resolve this issue?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Garage
Being intermittent that is going to be rough to find until it stops completely. Could be anything from a safety switch to the starter. But since it is fine once it does start that probably rules out a safety circuit problem. Best guess would be the starter solenoid or the starter itself. If you can catch it on one of the times with no start, see if the voltage is getting to the solenoid to close the contacts and if you have that voltage, then see if you have voltage going to the starter. Solenoids and starters are both capable of intermittent operation like that. If not getting voltage to the solenoid the key switch could be intermittent. But I would lean toward the solenoid being the issue first.

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 09:05 PM

If it's not the key switch or the solenoid, try cycling the PTO switch; it may not be fully off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 02:53 PM

I'd use a test light to see if you're getting voltage on the output side of the ignition switch to the starter. If you are then I'd try it at the solenoid. I'm guessing there might also be a relay in that system that could be an issue and then the starter solenoid.
It's not likely the starter itself is bad since you say there is no "click" as the solenoid would still click if it was the starter that was bad.

Grunt likes this.

The advice is free, you get what you pay for
Sears 18hp 46"
Toro WH 265-6 w/38"
JD 160 w/38"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 06:17 PM

When it happens again pull the hydro release at the rear to move the machine free wheel and try to move it. If it won't move the brake system module is probably failing. There are now quite a few videos on you tube regarding this system failing.
ALL the safety switches run through it so if it fails the electrical system won't recognize the safeties as being closed (in the seat, arms in operating position, PTO off). You can manually disengage the brake teeth that stop the trans from free wheeling, but the electrical still won't work.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 06:51 AM

Itís the solenoid Iíll bet. I was having the same exact problem for about a year. Finally bit the bullet and found the replacement, or so I thought, in China. Part arrived in 2 weeks and the terminals were a slightly larger diameter than the original. Iíd researched this beforehand and was trying to avoid fiddling with wiring and finding nuts to fit the different terminals, just cuz Iím lazy and wanted an exact fit. No suck luck... I put the existing wiring ring connectors in a vice and slightly reamed them with a drill bit. Fits perfectly.

Iíve had it for about a month now and it engages the starter like it should each and every single time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page