Noobie with a Troy Bilt Pony. - Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Noobie with a Troy Bilt Pony.

After replacing the battery and solenoid I have a green wire loose coming from the wiring harness under the battery compartment. Can someone please show me where it connects?

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 07:17 AM

Is it not working after replacement, or is everything working and you just noticed an unhooked wire? If things aren't working I'd WAG it goes to the solenoid, especially if it has a spade connector on the loose end. Is the replacement solenoid OEM direct replacement or aftermarket? I've seen people try to replace a 4 pole with a 3 pole solenoid. If that's the case it's likely a shared wire in the safety/ground loop . Hard to say without seeing it. Is it in the rear end or up under the dash tower?
Also,
The Following User Says Thank You to jtclays For This Useful Post:
[email protected] (10-14-2018)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

It's not working at all. The green wire is from the wiring harness that also has 2 red wires. The solenoid is from Lowes and it has 4 connections just like the original. It's all under the battery compartment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mower.jpg (3.96 MB, 13 views)

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 05:50 PM

the options are very limited for where it goes

if it was the reverse kill wire then it would only have issues cutting in reverse

most likely its for the seat switch and that is why it wont start

i cant think of anything else there would be wires running to it back there except for possibly the inline fuse

You can only learn if you ask the question, so there are no dumb questions.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 08:53 PM

It looks to be a female spade type terminal and not really long enough to go anywhere else
Did it not run before? I don't think those Lowes solenoids (Arnold brand or has 10 brands printed around the package) ground to the frame from simply bolting it (even if they say they do). They usually include a short black wire. Anyway, one of those male spades has to go to ground . If you used the little black wire (has a right angle spade and a loop connector I think) and grounded it to the mounting bolt or anywhere else, but used one of the spades on the solenoid, I'd remove it and connect the green wire to that spade. It's likely a common ground for the safety switches in a series. The other spade should trace back to your ignition switch and be the trip for the solenoid to energize. I can't remember specifically if it was a Pony I worked on, but it was definitely a TB and the wiring was a little goofy to me because the lights would only work when the machine was running. I have a Craftsman LT2000 (MTD) in the garage right now that I'm working on. I checked it over very closely as it's stripped down to frame and tower. There's not a single green wire in the harness to snap a routing picture for you.
Just enlarged the thumbnail and it doesn't look like that green wire could even reach the solenoid, so maybe I'm blowing smoke here.
The Following User Says Thank You to jtclays For This Useful Post:
[email protected] (10-16-2018)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
It's not working at all. The green wire is from the wiring harness that also has 2 red wires. The solenoid is from Lowes and it has 4 connections just like the original. It's all under the battery compartment.
well it seems to be connected and the way the wires are bent it looks like that is where it went

how do you know the solenoid was even bad? did you test for voltage and good ground connection to it?

you need to confirm when and where you do and dont have power across a good ground connection, and that you have a good ground connection to the relay

You can only learn if you ask the question, so there are no dumb questions.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 12:36 AM
Administrator

Garage
Found this photo on the net:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg troy-bilt-pony-starter-lwn-strter-nsls-nd-strtton-solenoid-diagram.jpg (64.2 KB, 6 views)

Mark - 2002 John Deere LT150H

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

The mower was working fine a couple of weeks ago. I came home from vacation and nothing but a click when I turned the key. I cleaned the terminals on the battery and I tried to "jump" the solenoid and got nothing. I hooked up the battery, {a couple years old) to a charger for about 6 hours and the "charged" light never came on, so I bought a new battery and solenoid which had the same number of poles.

Rick
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Short black wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
It looks to be a female spade type terminal and not really long enough to go anywhere else
Did it not run before? I don't think those Lowes solenoids (Arnold brand or has 10 brands printed around the package) ground to the frame from simply bolting it (even if they say they do). They usually include a short black wire. Anyway, one of those male spades has to go to ground . If you used the little black wire (has a right angle spade and a loop connector I think) and grounded it to the mounting bolt or anywhere else, but used one of the spades on the solenoid, I'd remove it and connect the green wire to that spade. It's likely a common ground for the safety switches in a series. The other spade should trace back to your ignition switch and be the trip for the solenoid to energize. I can't remember specifically if it was a Pony I worked on, but it was definitely a TB and the wiring was a little goofy to me because the lights would only work when the machine was running. I have a Craftsman LT2000 (MTD) in the garage right now that I'm working on. I checked it over very closely as it's stripped down to frame and tower. There's not a single green wire in the harness to snap a routing picture for you.
Just enlarged the thumbnail and it doesn't look like that green wire could even reach the solenoid, so maybe I'm blowing smoke here.

Yes, I forgot to connect the short black wire. I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 037049954155.jpg (81.1 KB, 1 views)

Rick
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 05:12 PM

If you only have one solenoid spade hooked to a wire, that wire should show 12 volts at that spade when the key is turned all the way to start. If not, it's either the wrong wire or a safety is not in correct spot (PTO is on, tractor in gear, brake not depressed) If the other spade on the solenoid has nothing hooked to it, clip the black wire female connector to it, and attach the loop under one of the mounting bolts and try it.
Assuming you've pulled the fuse out of the holder on the right side of your picture to see if it's OK. It may have blown when you were trying to jump it.
If you still get nothing, I'd unplug the connector behind your ignition switch and check for corrosion or burn marks. If you get another click, but NO crank, turn the key off and turn the engine over clockwise with your hand past the compression bump and try the key starting procedure again.
[email protected] likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lawn Mower Forums : Lawnmower Reviews, Repair, Pricing and Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page